WF unable to send email notification to Reviewers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i have a problem that the WF to notify the reviewers that there is an Activity to be Approve is not working.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks 

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Without having more information around the workflow, it might be a bit difficult for me to help.

I, however, used this link http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2010/06/08/automatically-sending-notifications-to-reviewers.aspx as a start.

Hope this helps,

F.

As long as you learn something new every day, the day is not wasted.

• Marked as answer by Mira Maher Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:58 AM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:36 AM
  • Dear Fletcher,

thanks for help, the Blog you sent resolved the problem but i faced another issue which is when the reviewer receive the notification and click on the links to approve or reject the Review Activity, the status of the Activity still in progress and the approval or rejection is not mentioned. please advise.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:03 AM
  • What is the approval condition on this Review Activity?

Is there maybe a missing approval (more than one person needs to approve or a special person needs to approve)?

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Approval condition is Unanimous.

one person only has to approve the Review Activity.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:29 AM
  • The user clicked on "Approve" and marked himself in the next window/form before clicking on approve button?

If he didn't mark himself in the list (even if only on reviewer in the list) the RA will not be approved.

After the approval a workflow will modify the status of the RA to "Completed".

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:35 AM
  • 100% to Andreas post above :)

As long as you learn something new every day, the day is not wasted.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 11:18 AM
  • Hi,

thanks for your replie.

Just want to clarify that i have SCSM 2010 SP1 and i think the above screenshot captured from different version, also the WF i have created to enable the reviewer approve or reject the Review Activity automatically by clicking on the link for Approval or the one for rejection without accessing the console.

the problem is that when the Reviewer click on one of these links it doesn't approve or reject the Review Activity and status still in progress.

Thanks for help.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:42 AM
  • The screenshot is from the SCSM 2010 analyst portal. Maybe you can post the link you are sending in the mail to reviewers? As far as I remember the approval in the SCSM analyst portal was always 2-step -> click on approve, choose reviwer and click on approve again.  

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:12 AM
  • below is the template Htm file:

<html>

<head>
    <meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 14 (filtered)">
    <style>
    <!--
     /* Font Definitions */
     @font-face
     {font-family:Calibri;
     panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
     /* Style Definitions */
     p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
     {margin-top:0in;
     margin-right:0in;
     margin-bottom:10.0pt;
     margin-left:0in;
     line-height:115%;
     font-size:11.0pt;
     font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
    .MsoChpDefault
     {font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
    .MsoPapDefault
     {margin-bottom:10.0pt;
     line-height:115%;}
    @page WordSection1
     {size:8.5in 11.0in;
     margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
    div.WordSection1
     {page:WordSection1;}
    -->
    </style>

</head>

<body lang=EN-US>

<div>

<p $Context/Path[Relationship='CustomSystem_WorkItem_Activity_Library!System.ReviewActivityHasReviewer' TypeConstraint='CustomSystem_WorkItem_Activity_Library!System.Reviewer']$?$DisplayName$?$Context/Path[Relationship='CustomSystem_WorkItem_Library!System.WorkItemAssignedToUser' TypeConstraint='CustomSystem_Library!System.User']$?$DisplayName$?,</p>

<p review Activity is assigned to you, Please take you
    action “approve or reject”</p>

<p>

<p ID: [$Context/Property[Type='CustomSystem_WorkItem_Library!System.WorkItem']/Id$]</p>

<p>

<p>href=&quot;mailto:ServiceDesk@mol.gov.ae?subject=[&lt;insert the work item ID
    here&gt;]&amp;body=[Approved]&quot;&gt;Approved&lt;/a&gt;</p>

<p>

<p>

<p>

<p>href=&quot;mailto:ServiceDesk@mol.gov.ae?subject=[&lt;insert the work item ID
    here&gt;]&amp;body=[Rejected]&quot;&gt;Rejected&lt;/a&gt;</p>

</div>

</body>

</html>

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:18 AM
  • Now I got it. You are using mailto-links and not links to the SCSM Self-Service Portal.

You should check the mailbox of ServiceDesk@ml.gov.ae if the approval/reject mails are incoming. Also can you check the event log of SCSM (it's called Operations Manager) if there are any entries listed regarding the approval mails  and the Exchange Connector. Another thing is to check the right spelling of the keywords in the Exchange Connector settings.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:31 PM
  • I checked the inbox for serviceDesk@mol.gov.ae and approval or reject is incoming, also i checked that the spelling is correct in the connector.

in Operation Manager event log i faced the below error when i tried to send click on the Approval or Reject links in the RA notification:

A Windows Workflow Foundation workflow failed during execution.

Workflow Type: Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.ChangeManagement.Workflows.ActivityStatusChangedWorkflow

Workflow Identifier: ffc10761-6fe9-6442-65db-964d319a96fb

Exception Type: System.NullReferenceException

Exception Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Exception Stack: at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.ChangeManagement.Workflows.ActivityStatusChangedWorkflow.processActivityStatusChangeActivity_ExecuteCode(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.Activity.RaiseEvent(DependencyProperty dependencyEvent, Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Workflow.Activities.CodeActivity.Execute(ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)

at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(T activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)

at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(Activity activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)

at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutorOperation.Run(IWorkflowCoreRuntime workflowCoreRuntime)

at System.Workflow.Runtime.Scheduler.Run()

Details:

+ System
    - Provider
    [ Name] Health Service Modules
    - EventID 33880
    [ Qualifiers] 49152
    Level 2
    Task 0
    Keywords 0x80000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2012-03-29T06:37:33.000000000Z
    EventRecordID 1540869
    Channel Operations Manager
    Computer SMMS.mol.local
    Security
    - EventData
    Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.ChangeManagement.Workflows.ActivityStatusChangedWorkflow
    ffc10761-6fe9-6442-65db-964d319a96fb
    System.NullReferenceException
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.ChangeManagement.Workflows.ActivityStatusChangedWorkflow.processActivityStatusChangeActivity_ExecuteCode(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.Activity.RaiseEvent(DependencyProperty dependencyEvent, Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Workflow.Activities.CodeActivity.Execute(ActivityExecutionContext executionContext) at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(T activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext) at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(Activity activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext) at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutorOperation.Run(IWorkflowCoreRuntime workflowCoreRuntime) at System.Workflow.Runtime.Scheduler.Run()

Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:54 AM