none
Shared nothin live migration with System center Virtual machine manager 2012 R2

Question

• Hi all,

i have two hyper-v host configured for shared nothing live migration and an installation of SCVMM 2012 R2 working.

I've configured the HYPER-V to use kerneros and configure the delegation (i don't reboot the host after the delegation configuration...).

In SCVMM i've created the RUNAS account and configure it to use with the host.

But when i try to do a live migration, it's failing at 75% and give me this error:

Error (12700)
    VMM cannot complete the host operation on the domhyv2-12r2.dompepharma.com server because of the error:
    Unknown error (0x8000)

Recommended Action
    Resolve the host issue and then try the operation again.

and i got this error on hyper-v host in ordere of appearence:

If i shut down the virtual machine the move work well...

Can someone help me, i don't find nothing on internet about this strange error...

Best Regards

Massimo Riboli

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 4:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

Could you please post the error details for us ? 

In addition , two hyper-v hosts using same CPU ?

If they are using different CPU ,please try to enable processor compatibility :

>>In SCVMM i've created the RUNAS account and configure it to use with the host.

I assume two hosts are in same domain .

That RUNAS account are both local admin of two hyper-v hosts  ?

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 02, 2017 4:59 AM
  • Yes, the account are in the Administrator Group, and in the hyper-v administrator Group.

The server are the same architecture ( it was a cluster...).

In attache you can find the only detail that i can grab from the event viewer, at this moment i cannot find any other detail about the error.

Thanks in advance

Massimo Riboli

Thursday, March 02, 2017 10:04 AM
  • "The server are the same architecture ( it was a cluster...)."

That does not mean that the processors are the same.  Clusters accepts different processors with no problem at all.  And even if the nodes are the same chip, they could be at different stepping levels, and that can mean that processor compatibility has to be set.  It is worth the test to set the VM to have processor compatibility enabled to see if that rectifies the issue.

Also, since this is in the context of SCVMM, you might want to ask the experts in the SCVMM forums - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=virtualmachinemanager

. : | : . : | : . tim

Thursday, March 02, 2017 2:21 PM
  • Thank for the help, i'll post the question in the thread suggested.

Best Regards

Massimo Riboli

Thursday, March 02, 2017 2:54 PM
  • Hi Massimo,

Have you tried to enable "processor compatibility" then try Live Migration again ?

Best Regards,

Elton

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 03, 2017 2:22 AM
  • I've tried the move from the hyperv console and i have this error:

Friday, March 10, 2017 12:48 PM
  • Hi Sir,

That VM was checked "Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version " ?

Best Regards,

Elton

Monday, March 13, 2017 7:29 AM
  • Yes, but the hypervisior has the same architecture, same cpu... so the checkbox is not necessary.

The next week i have the patch installation Windows at the client side, so i reboot the hyper-v and see what's happen.

Best Regard

Massimo Riboli

Monday, March 20, 2017 1:34 PM
  • "but the hypervisior has the same architecture, same cpu"

As stated earlier, this is not necessarily a valid assumption.  I have had the situation where two hosts were the "same architecture, same cpu", yet the CPUs were at different stepping levels (think patch or BIOS levels).  This caused live migration to fail for the very reason you are showing.  The only way around it was to set processor compatibility mode on the VMs.  Different stepping levels can cause different hardware instructions to be running on the two different systems that have the same CPU.  If the target system does not have the same hardware instructions as the source, you will get the above error.

tim

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:06 PM