how do I access the multi-mailbox results RRS feed

• Question

• Exchange 2010 SP1

I just tested multi-mailbox search and copied the results to the discovery
    search mailbox.  How do I open them or access them?

from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335072.aspx
    it says that  "Authorized users can access the mailbox using
    Microsoft Office Outlook Web App or Outlook."  How?
    Since I do not know the password. 

Thank you for your help.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>it says that "Authorized users can access the mailbox using Microsoft Office Outlook Web App or Outlook." How?

You need to  assign Full Access mailbox permissions for a mailbox to the users who want to access this mailbox.

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity "Discovery mailbox" -User "Your account" -AccessRights Fullaccess -InheritanceType all

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb676551.aspx

And then you can open an additional mailbox via outlook or OWA.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Jason LJS Monday, July 18, 2011 3:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jason LJS Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:37 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 3:18 AM

All replies

• http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335072.aspx#VSR

Viewing Search Results

Search results are copied to the discovery mailbox selected as the target mailbox for the search. If you use a target mailbox other than the default Discovery Search Mailbox, you must assign mailbox access permissions to authorized users so they can access that discovery mailbox. Authorized users can access the mailbox using Microsoft Office Outlook Web App or Outlook.

For information about how to assign Full Access mailbox permissions for a mailbox, see Manage Full Access Permissions.

If a discovery manager selects the option to copy search results to a discovery mailbox, a folder with the same name as the search is created in the target mailbox. To store messages returned from that mailbox, a subfolder is created for each mailbox searched. The folder name consists of the mailbox user's display name along with the date and time when the search was created. Messages are copied to a folder that has the same name as their location in the searched mailbox. For example, if the search name is Discovery-ProjectContoso, and a message located in the Inbox folder in Paul Shen's primary mailbox is returned, the folder hierarchy created in the discovery mailbox would be Discovery-ProjectContoso -> Paul Shen-9/4/2009 3:57:10 PM -> Primary Mailbox > Inbox. Any message flags, including read/unread status and follow-up flags, are maintained.

Dd335072.note(en-us,EXCHG.141).gifNote:
    If the discovery manager selects the deduplication option, a single instance of messages found in multiple locations across all mailboxes searched is copied to the Results - <timestamp> folder. If the discovery manager selects the full logging option for the search, the search log contains an entry for each instance of the message.
     Annotations

In Exchange 2010 SP1, when a discovery manager reviews messages copied to a discovery mailbox, he or she can add annotations to the message. The discovery manager can then search the discovery mailbox for messages with annotations containing specific words or phrases.

Discovery managers can use annotations to associate a case number or another unique identifier with a message, making it easy to search for all items with that number.

Dd335072.note(en-us,EXCHG.141).gifNote:
    Annotations are stored with the message in the discovery mailbox. If you deliver messages to a third party, consider that the information in annotations may be accessible to the third party. We recommend that you not store any confidential information in annotations.

Return to top

Edit:  are you asking how to mount the mailbox?

In Outlook 2010:  Right-Click on your mailbox name > Folder Properties > General Tab > Advanced Button > Advanced Tab > Add Button > <type mailbox name here>
    ...but of course, this is AFTER giving yourself Full Access Permissions through the EMC or PS.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:42 PM
  • Hi,

>it says that "Authorized users can access the mailbox using Microsoft Office Outlook Web App or Outlook." How?

You need to  assign Full Access mailbox permissions for a mailbox to the users who want to access this mailbox.

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity "Discovery mailbox" -User "Your account" -AccessRights Fullaccess -InheritanceType all

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb676551.aspx

And then you can open an additional mailbox via outlook or OWA.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Jason LJS Monday, July 18, 2011 3:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jason LJS Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:37 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 3:18 AM
  • Thank you for your help.

I can open the discovery search mailbox in outlook.

How can I open it from OWA?

Thank you.

Monday, July 18, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Hi,

Read the article below:

http://blogs.msexchange.org/walther/2010/01/19/opening-other-users-inboxesmailboxes-using-owa-2010/

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 1:02 AM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem: even after following all the steps (adding my user account in Discovery Management RBAC group and assigning Full access mailbox permissions for my user account on Discovery Search Mailbox) I am still unable to open the Discovery Search Mailbox (or any other -Discovery mailbox) in OWA in Exchange 2010 SP1. However, I can open them using Outlook 2007 and 2010 without any problem.

I followed the steps provided in the above link but, in SP1, when I perform a search for Discovery mailbox, it founds nothing, as if it doesn't exist (a user's mailbox, however, can be opened using this method).

What I am missing?

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:04 PM