none
vhd online Backup - Backup time RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

When i start a backup using child partion snapshot  the Backup to tape is fast but the time until the Tape is in the drive takes a long time (a half hour). The VHD i backup is 10GB big.

Why it takes a long time until the tape is in the drive? is it really the time for the snapshot? When i backup using saved state it dont take long time until the tape is in the drive.

Can you help me or is this normal?

Greets

Marty

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 12:39 PM

Answers

• Closing thread due to no response. If you still require help on this then please re-open the thread.
    Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, December 3, 2010 9:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Marty,

You are doing short term to tape I guess?

In short what you are saying it takes ~30 minutes to take a snapshot and DPM continues... moving the tape etc..
    Are you using hardware VSS provider? Which vendor and storage model?
    I have seen hw VSS providers taking this long because enumerated the entire SAN first but that is a while ago and should be meanwhile fixed.

If hw VSS provider is used I recommend to take this up with the vendor.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 12:48 PM
  • Closing thread due to no response. If you still require help on this then please re-open the thread.
    Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, December 3, 2010 9:41 PM