DNS Server replication from Primary to additional RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have two domain controller included DNS server, one running primary domain controller with DNS server, another one is additional domain controller with DNS server too, I did setup replication time from primary to additional, and all users AD, Group,... and DNS record have been replicated from my set time.

I have a concern, In primary DNS server( Primary site) i have a A record erp.abc.com 10.1.9.20, this record has been replicated to additional site and at this site have A record erp.abc.com 10.1.9.20, I have public this server(10.1.9.20) to internet with Ip xx.xx.xx.xx and internet user can access this server from web browser, but i want at primary site users use erp.abc.com to access local IP(10.1.9.20), and from the additional site users use internet IP(xx.xx.xx.xx) instead of local IP, now all user from all site user local, i don't know how to stop relicated DNS server from primary site ?

Thanks,

Minh

Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:07 AM

Answers

• Hello,

you can not stop replication between the DC/DNS servers as this is a must on DCs with AD integrated zones.

Your description i cannot really follow "but i want at primary site users use erp.abc.com to access local IP(10.1.9.20), and from the additional site users use internet IP(xx.xx.xx.xx) instead of local IP, now all user from all site user local"

If i understand this correct the web server is in your LAN and you have problems accessing it from the internal network? Then create an A record named "www" without the quotes pointing to the internal ip address of this machine, then the LAN internal users will not use the public way.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:24 AM
  • Yes, you right, i want at secondary site, the DNS is not update from primary site, so i can create A record erp.abc.com point to IP xx.xx.xx.xx, due to at the secondary site users use public IP xx.xx.xx.xx to access erp.abc.com

Hello,

you can't do it that way all DCs replicated the records.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:20 AM

All replies

• Hello,

you can not stop replication between the DC/DNS servers as this is a must on DCs with AD integrated zones.

Your description i cannot really follow "but i want at primary site users use erp.abc.com to access local IP(10.1.9.20), and from the additional site users use internet IP(xx.xx.xx.xx) instead of local IP, now all user from all site user local"

If i understand this correct the web server is in your LAN and you have problems accessing it from the internal network? Then create an A record named "www" without the quotes pointing to the internal ip address of this machine, then the LAN internal users will not use the public way.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:24 AM
  • Yes, you right, i want at secondary site, the DNS is not update from primary site, so i can create A record erp.abc.com point to IP xx.xx.xx.xx, due to at the secondary site users use public IP xx.xx.xx.xx to access erp.abc.com
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:55 AM

Hello,

you can't do it that way all DCs replicated the records.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:20 AM