Is it possible to access the service manager in self service portal RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to ask if it is possible that the Service Manager or the Admin can access in Web or in Self Service Portal?

If Yes, how can I prevent this? because it should be not for security purposes.

Thank you.

Sunday, October 22, 2017 2:02 PM

Answers

• Hi

I am not sure I understand the question. The situation you require is that a SCSM admin should be restricted to console access only and is not allowed to access via the self service Portal?

I am not sure why this would improve security and I have never tried to implement this. But I would start by looking at IIS and try blocking access to a admins group. 

This cannot be implemented from the Service Manager side, only IIS would allow you to block access to the portal.

Regards

Glen

Web: www.xapity.com  |   Twitter: @xapityapps  |   Facebook: xapityapps

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, October 23, 2017 1:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by newbee_scsm Monday, October 23, 2017 6:02 AM
    Sunday, October 22, 2017 7:22 PM
  • Hi

There are 3rd party Analyst Portals that you can add to Service Manager, but it is not possble with the out of the box functionality. 

The self service portal is just for end users to log and view jobs.

Glen

Monday, October 23, 2017 5:43 AM

All replies

• Hi

I am not sure I understand the question. The situation you require is that a SCSM admin should be restricted to console access only and is not allowed to access via the self service Portal?

I am not sure why this would improve security and I have never tried to implement this. But I would start by looking at IIS and try blocking access to a admins group. 

This cannot be implemented from the Service Manager side, only IIS would allow you to block access to the portal.

Regards

Glen

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, October 23, 2017 1:29 AM
    Sunday, October 22, 2017 7:22 PM
  • Uhmm. Because one of my colleague said possible to access the service manager console in web using Management Pack. 

Monday, October 23, 2017 5:35 AM
  • Hi

There are 3rd party Analyst Portals that you can add to Service Manager, but it is not possble with the out of the box functionality. 

The self service portal is just for end users to log and view jobs.

Glen

Monday, October 23, 2017 5:43 AM
  • yes Sir.  I already told him

Service Manager Console - The console that is used by help desk analysts and administrators for help desk functions such as change, incident, problem, and configuration management.

Self-service portal A Web interface that is configured by an administrator so that end users can search knowledge, create requests, and read IT announcements.

Monday, October 23, 2017 6:01 AM
  • I think Sir this is what he said:

Web Console in Operations Manager

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh212700(v=sc.12).aspx

but when I tried to run this:

To connect to a web console

• Open a web browser on any computer and enter http://servername/OperationsManager, where servername is the name of the computer hosting the web console.

I got an error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /OperationsManager

Monday, October 23, 2017 6:44 AM
  • Hi

You are correct. The link you gave is to Operations Manager (SCOM) and not Service Manager. That is why you are getting the error.

Service Manager was built off the SCOM framework and we can see that by the Event Viewer location is called Operations Manager and the some of the services that run Service Manager are the same. The SCOM gurus can probably add more.

But Service Manager is not the same product as SCOM. There is no admin access to a web portal out of the box.

Regards

Glen

Monday, October 23, 2017 6:59 AM
  • Thank you Sir.

I will find what is the difference between SCSM and SCOM.

Monday, October 23, 2017 7:27 AM