none
windows server 2012 R2 Hyper-V, no internet access

Question

• The last week I have noticed that Network and Sharing Center in my guest machine (Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials) is announcing that it has no internet access. Since I'm able to run MS Update it seems to have connectivity though, so I don't really get it (!?!)

The DNS on this machine has 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 configured as forwarders. I read something about recent issues with these DNS servers.. Could that be the source to my problem?

* Host is running Windows Server 2012 R2 with no issues (as far as I can tell).

Friday, March 24, 2017 6:54 PM

All replies

• is announcing that it has no internet access.

Have you tested it? Also might try to;

tracert 8.8.8.8

as a troubleshooting step

The DNS on this machine has 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 configured as forwarders. .. Could that be the source to my problem?

Shouldn't be an issue but then these are not required either. OOB experience would be the server would attempt to use the 13 root hint server ips to resolve internet queries.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 24, 2017 7:37 PM
  • The internet connection works (both according to Windows Update, ping and Tracert), but why is the Network and Sharing Center still announcing that it has no internet access?

Saturday, March 25, 2017 6:14 AM
  • Some things to check are firewall settings, or third party firewall, multi-homing, NIC driver issues, hardware support issues.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, March 25, 2017 12:35 PM
  • I can't find anything at all that is wrong. The strange thing is that this behaviour has shown up only the last week/weeks and I haven't changed anything at all, except applying the latest patches from MS Update. I have tested to uninstall them one by one, but that doesn't help. I'm confused and out of ideas. :(

Saturday, March 25, 2017 2:45 PM
  • If nothing appears to be broken then I suppose you can ignore it.

Saturday, March 25, 2017 2:48 PM
  • Open an internet browser then search for e.g. google or bing. This will refresh state of your Network and Sharing Center and message will disappear.

Hope helps you

• Edited by ugabrielu Sunday, March 26, 2017 7:07 AM
    Sunday, March 26, 2017 7:06 AM
  • Open an internet browser then search for e.g. google or bing. This will refresh state of your Network and Sharing Center and message will disappear.

Hope helps you

I usually never open a web browser on a server, but now I did. Content on the internet is accessible, but unfortunately this didn't change the state of the Network and Sharing Center... Maybe there is a bug in one of the latest patches (but on the other hand, then the problem should vanish after uninstalling them)?

• Edited by lensv Sunday, March 26, 2017 9:37 AM
    Sunday, March 26, 2017 9:34 AM
  • As mentioned I'd check and or reset the firewall (Control Panel/Windows Firewall/Restore Defaults), you can also try deleting recreating the guest NIC (vEthernet), check the host hardware support, chipset and drivers, reset tcp stack, and since essentials is involved and multi-homing is common might ask over here.

https://www.windowsservercatalog.com/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/299357/how-to-reset-tcp-ip-by-using-the-netshell-utility

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserveressentials

Sunday, March 26, 2017 1:56 PM
  • Today I noticed that the Internet connection is back to normal again. I haven't changed anything, nor have any updates been installed. Pretty shaky for an old "stable" system I must say...

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 11:23 AM
  • Hi Sir,

If I recall it correctly , the OS need to access outside IP address to ensure internet is accessible .

There might be caused by a firewall blocked that IP .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by dls429 Wednesday, April 05, 2017 4:16 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by dls429 Wednesday, April 05, 2017 4:16 PM
    Wednesday, April 05, 2017 3:40 PM
  • I've seen this happen on a variety of systems.  The NCSI test for internet connectivity is:

• Try to load a specific page via HTTP (more precisely: a text document) and test whether it can be retrieved.
      • If that is not successful, Windows reports "No Internet access".

The mechanism also checks whether the domain the document is hosted on resolves to the expected IP address. So, it might also assume no internet access if this test is successful but the document can't be retrieved.

(an interesting discussion is here:  https://superuser.com/questions/277923/how-does-windows-know-whether-it-has-internet-access-or-if-a-wi-fi-connection-re  )

For us, the issue is usually timing.  Even though the indicator shows No Access, the network connectivity issue gets resolved after the NCSI check. This means we take various steps to change the timing.  Examples are

• changing the "power-saver" setting on the NIC so that it doesn't sleep, and/or
    • pre-filling the DNS suffix on the NIC Advanced TCP/IP DNS settings tab, and/or
    • anything that reduces the DNS response delay...
    • You mentioned that the system is a Hyper-v Guest.  That means that the NIC is actually on the Hyper-v Host.  Therefore the Hyper-v Host might also be a factor.  In this case we would delay startup of the guest by a few minutes in the Hyper-v Manager connection:
    • i.e.: Select the VM;  Right-click > choose Settings > Automatic Start Action > Startup delay: xxx seconds. 

As a last resort, you could just turn off the NCSI check:

• Regedit 
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet
    • double-click EnableActiveProbing, and then
    • in Value data, type: 0
       The default for this value is 1. Setting the value to 0 prevents NCSI from connecting to a site on the Internet during checks for connectivity.
    • Click OK.
    • Restart the computer.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 5:06 PM
  • I had the same issue and in my case this is how it went:

Symptoms:

No connectivity on the VM. APIPA Address assigned (169..).

I confirmed that there was a External Switch and that the machine was connected with that adaptor

Solution:

The External Switch had 2 cards and the one selected was not the correct one, used the drop down menu and selected the other card! BOOM! issue resolved.

Always check if your machine has more than one NIC and select the correct one for the External Networks.

David Nudelman
    MVP: Windows Expert - IT Pro
    MCSE, MCTS: Vista, Windows 7, Exchange 2007
    MCITP: Windows Server 2008, Windows 7
    Web: http://blogs.itpro.es/david

Saturday, July 07, 2018 10:07 AM