'Search for Shapes' crashes when searching for "spring' RRS feed

• Question

• I've searched existing threads for this problem, but I'm still puzzled.  I am running Visio Premium 2010 version 14.0.7015.1000 (32-bit).  My problem occurs on all three of my computers:  (1) Dell Laptop running Vista 32-bit, 8-GB (2) Dell Laptop running Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit, 16 GB, (3) Dell OptiPlex 7010, Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit, 16.0 GB.  All three are also running Office 2010.  All software is genuine and licensed.

When using the 'Search for Shapes' feature, Visio crashes only when I search for the word "spring".  If I search for "cars" or "square" or "crane", Visio returns a handful of results as expected.  Searching for "spring" causes Visio to crash ('stop working').  The error details are:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BEX
    Application Name: VISIO.EXE
    Application Version: 14.0.7011.1000
    Application Timestamp: 513a7b9b
    Fault Module Name: MSVCR90.dll
    Fault Module Version: 9.0.30729.6161
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4dace5b9
    Exception Offset: 0006ccd5
    Exception Code: c0000417
    Exception Data: 00000000
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    LCID: 1033
    skulcid: 1033

I have the same custom stencils and templates on all three computers.  My attempts to identify/fix the problem (unsuccessfully) included:

Repair Visio (on all 3 computers)
    Uninstall/reinstall Visio (on 2 computers)
    Search for viruses/malware using MS Security Essentials, Spybot, Malwarebytes (on all 3 computers)
    Delete and rebuild index (on laptop Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit)
    Run in XP mode (on laptop Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit)
    Run as administrator (on laptop Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit)

This is such an irritating problem because it's limited to only one search word, "spring".  Can anyone provide any guidance on how to further troubleshoot/fix the problem?

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:48 PM

Answers

• MSVCR90.dll is the Visual C run-time library, nothing to do with Visual Basic, or Windows for that matter.

There is a whole stencil of spring shapes in Visio 2010 Pro/Premum:

More Shapes -> Engineering -> Mechanical Engineering -> Springs and Bearings.

Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. Engineering and software shapes for Visio
    Sandrila Ltd

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, September 2, 2013 9:14 AM
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Hi,
    To my understanding, I suppose the issue may be caused by the three MSVCR90.dll:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Visio\2010 Premium\Full\Office.en-us
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Office Professional Plus 2010\Office.en-us
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client

We may fix the MSVCR90.dll from CD or DVD.
    Steps:
    1. Insert the system repair disc into your CD or DVD drive.
    2.Restart your computer using the computer's power button.
    3.If prompted, press any key to start the computer from the system repair disc.
    • If your computer isn't configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You might need to change your computer's BIOS settings.
    4.Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
    5.Select a recovery option, and then click Next.
    Tip
    • Print these instructions and keep them in a safe location with your system repair disc.

For more detail information, please refer to the following link:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/create-a-system-repair-disc

If the issue exists, please try to restore your computer from a system image backup.

Notice: Before starting, make sure that the removable media that your backup is stored on is available, if applicable. Also, make sure that the disk that you're restoring the backup to is the same size or larger than the disk that you backed up.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/restore-your-computer-from-a-system-image-backup
    Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by George123345 Friday, August 30, 2013 1:14 AM
    Monday, August 26, 2013 2:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,
     According to your description, the issue may be caused by some reasons.
    First, according to your log, it shows “Fault Module Name: MSVCR90.dll”.
    The “MSVCR90.dll” is an important file in Windows operation.
    It works for Microsoft Visual Basic.
    Please verify if the user has installed the “Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Second Edition Runtime” on their PC.

Uninstall the tool, then repair the Visio again.

There a similar issue, we can refer to:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/5504d74e-48a7-4ca5-a7e0-709afb0ec231/office-2010-missing-msvcr90dll-file

Secondly, I can’t find the “spring shape” in my computer.
    Does it custom by yourself?
    As far as I know, the custom data and the shape data default would not be delete when uninstall the Visio.
    How to delete the shape, please refer to the following link:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff765184.aspx
    Regards,

George Zhao

Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:57 AM
  • MSVCR90.dll is the Visual C run-time library, nothing to do with Visual Basic, or Windows for that matter.

There is a whole stencil of spring shapes in Visio 2010 Pro/Premum:

More Shapes -> Engineering -> Mechanical Engineering -> Springs and Bearings.

Sandrila Ltd

Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Thanks George.  I downloaded and installed the "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Second Edition Runtime" as well as the 2010 version.  I also repaired Visio (both before and after installing the Visual Studio.  I also downloaded and installed the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for both 2008 and 2010.  I also uninstalled two Visio updates (KB2760631 and KB982726). After each installation or uninstall that I described above, I restarted my computer, then opened Visio and checked to see if the problem remained.  In all cases, the problem still occurred.

The spring shape is part of a custom stencil of other shapes.  I have access to the stencil, and I'm able to drag shapes from the stencil onto the drawing page.  However, searching for the word "spring" in the Visio Search Pane still causes it to crash.

Is there a way to download a new, clean version of MSVCR90.dll?

Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:32 PM
  • Hi Paul.  Thanks for the response.  I have over 100 stencils and, yes, I can find the spring in the one you mentioned.  That doesn't solve the problem since I cannot memorize the contents of every stencil (hence, the need for the Search pane).  After all, Visio could crash with another problematic search word or phrase in the future. 

I ran the Win 7 System File Checker and it did not find any errors on my system.  I have also downloaded and installed the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for both 2008 and 2010.  Neither worked ...

Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:33 PM
  • My response was more of a response to George's answer.

Sandrila Ltd

Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:22 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks to Jim and Paul first.

In my opinion, I recommend we start the Visio in safe mode and check the issue with third-party add-in.

Then I suggest to download a new template “spring”. The shape maybe damage before.

I hope it’s helps.

Regards,

George Zhao

Friday, August 23, 2013 7:39 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions.  I found a few other related posts, so here's a summary of my recent attempts:

Disabled AutoConnect
    Uninstalled Acrobat 10.1 add-ons
    Looked for a Bluetooth Visio add-on to disable (but did not have one)
    Removed all services from Visio's Research Options and Translation Options
    Disabled all macros with notification
    Removed Spring stencils from 1033 folder
    Removed Spring-related stencils from MyShapes folder
    Unchecked 'Run in Developer Mode'
    Stopped all Acrobat services in Task Manager
    Ran in Safe Mode

Still no luck ...

Below is a list of the locations where MSVCR90.dll is located.  Is there a way to determine which is the problematic one?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\DWA\Microsoft.VC90.CRT
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\core\Microsoft.VC90.CRT

Saturday, August 24, 2013 12:41 AM
  • Hi,
    To my understanding, I suppose the issue may be caused by the three MSVCR90.dll:

We may fix the MSVCR90.dll from CD or DVD.
    Steps:
    1. Insert the system repair disc into your CD or DVD drive.
    2.Restart your computer using the computer's power button.
    3.If prompted, press any key to start the computer from the system repair disc.
    • If your computer isn't configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You might need to change your computer's BIOS settings.
    4.Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
    5.Select a recovery option, and then click Next.
    Tip
    • Print these instructions and keep them in a safe location with your system repair disc.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/create-a-system-repair-disc

If the issue exists, please try to restore your computer from a system image backup.

Notice: Before starting, make sure that the removable media that your backup is stored on is available, if applicable. Also, make sure that the disk that you're restoring the backup to is the same size or larger than the disk that you backed up.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/restore-your-computer-from-a-system-image-backup
    Regards,

George Zhao

• Proposed as answer by George123345 Friday, August 30, 2013 1:14 AM
    Monday, August 26, 2013 2:19 AM
  • I am having the same issue.  tried reinstalling entire system... same issue.  I suspect something other than a suspect dll.   Question, are you running a 64 or 32 bit version of windows... 64 or 32 bit version of visio...
    Friday, September 6, 2013 3:37 PM
  • I've had the same problem for quite some time. Never tried searching for "spring", but just now Visio crashed trying to search for "clock"... I've seen this happen in versions 2010, 2013 and 2016 of Visio... 

PS: Knowing about this problem, I always save the file before trying to search.

• Edited by EduardoCMB Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:29 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:27 PM