WSUS DB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

We are embarking on W2008 Server Sunset and a few of the servers we have are WSUS (OS-W2008). The DB of some of these servers are SQL not inbuilt WID and they reside on a separate SQL server. What I would like to do is create a windows 2012 server install the WSUS role pointing to the DB on the SQL Server.

Question 1 - Would this be possible?

Question 2 - Are the WSUS updates embedded in the SQL DB or are they on a share on the WSUS server?

Any information would be greatly received.

Regards.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Guys,

We are embarking on W2008 Server Sunset and a few of the servers we have are WSUS (OS-W2008). The DB of some of these servers are SQL not inbuilt WID and they reside on a separate SQL server. What I would like to do is create a windows 2012 server install the WSUS role pointing to the DB on the SQL Server.

Question 2 - Are the WSUS updates embedded in the SQL DB or are they on a share on the WSUS server?

Regards.

A1: Yes, but check your SQL version compatibility etc

A2: the update payloads (binaries, cabfiles, mspfiles, EULA.txt, etc) are not stored in SQL they are stored in folders \WSUSContent\etc (or not stored on your server at all if you selected that option ;)

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Proposed as answer by Udara Kaushalya Tuesday, September 10, 2019 11:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by czql5v Wednesday, September 11, 2019 10:30 AM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:51 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting here.
    For the situation you mentioned, I have the following suggestions:

1. Would this be possible?
      You can select the Microsoft SQL database when adding the WSUS role. For details, please refer to this article: "Installing WSUS Server Role on Windows Server 2012 with Microsoft SQL Database". 

2. Are the WSUS updates embedded in the SQL DB or are they on a share on the WSUS server?
      In short, the updated update information (metadata) will be stored in the SQL database, this includes:
      -  Configuration information for the WSUS server
      -  Update metadata, including Microsoft Software License Terms.
      -  Client computer information, including updates and client interaction with updates.

The updated program files will be stored in a local location of your choice or stored on Microsoft Update. For details, please refer to the detailed explanation of this article: "Specifying Where to Store Updates"

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 7:20 AM
  • Thank you guys for your responses.

I am going to read through the literature supplied.

• Marked as answer by czql5v Friday, September 13, 2019 8:20 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 10:31 AM
  • Hi Yic,

So once I have installed the Role do I assume I then need to download the content from the upstream server from scratch? Is there a way of copying the contents via a disk to disk transfer.

I would like to limit network traffic wherever possible.

Regards. 

you can use any method you choose to perform payload-content backup/restore or migration. Guidance is in the documentation for WSUS. Ensure you strictly follow the guidance, to preserve the permissions (ACL/ACE).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/ee822824(v=ws.10)

• Marked as answer by czql5v Friday, September 13, 2019 8:21 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 9:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Guys,

Regards.

A1: Yes, but check your SQL version compatibility etc

A2: the update payloads (binaries, cabfiles, mspfiles, EULA.txt, etc) are not stored in SQL they are stored in folders \WSUSContent\etc (or not stored on your server at all if you selected that option ;)

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:51 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting here.
    For the situation you mentioned, I have the following suggestions:

1. Would this be possible?
      You can select the Microsoft SQL database when adding the WSUS role. For details, please refer to this article: "Installing WSUS Server Role on Windows Server 2012 with Microsoft SQL Database". 

2. Are the WSUS updates embedded in the SQL DB or are they on a share on the WSUS server?
      In short, the updated update information (metadata) will be stored in the SQL database, this includes:
      -  Configuration information for the WSUS server
      -  Update metadata, including Microsoft Software License Terms.
      -  Client computer information, including updates and client interaction with updates.

The updated program files will be stored in a local location of your choice or stored on Microsoft Update. For details, please refer to the detailed explanation of this article: "Specifying Where to Store Updates"

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 7:20 AM
  • Thank you guys for your responses.

I am going to read through the literature supplied.

• Marked as answer by czql5v Friday, September 13, 2019 8:20 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 10:31 AM
  • Hi Yic,

So once I have installed the Role do I assume I then need to download the content from the upstream server from scratch? Is there a way of copying the contents via a disk to disk transfer.

Regards. 

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 10:34 AM
  • Hi Yic,

Regards. 

you can use any method you choose to perform payload-content backup/restore or migration. Guidance is in the documentation for WSUS. Ensure you strictly follow the guidance, to preserve the permissions (ACL/ACE).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/ee822824(v=ws.10)

• Marked as answer by czql5v Friday, September 13, 2019 8:21 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 9:33 PM