High RPC Averaged Latency & Mailbox Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, looking for expert advice...

My Exchange 2007 SP3 Mailbox server tends to report high (200ms+) RPC Averaged Latency.  I have 26 mailbox databases (one for each letter) for user mailboxes.  I've determined that if I dismount Mailbox Database M, the RPC Averaged Latency plummets down to under 25ms.  This does not happen when I dismount other mailbox databases.

Any suggestions on next steps I should take?  Do you think it's something wrong with the database?  Or could a particular Outlook client be bogging things down?

Saturday, October 15, 2011 2:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Tony,

Any update for your issue?
    Per your description, there are many reasons would cause the issue.
    1. Not excluded the Exchange directories from AV file level scanning.
    2. Some users use the mobile devices cuase the issue, and the mailbox in the special database, it is better to update the devices, or remove the devices and make some tests.
    3. ExclaimerSMTPAgent enabled also could cause the issue, please check it, and disable it to make some tests.
    4. Disk issue, use new one disk and move the mailbox on the new disk

Regards!
    Gavin

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. 

• Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Monday, October 31, 2011 1:58 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 9:57 AM
  • I pinpointed the issue!  A user whose mailbox resides in the troblesome mailbox database has a Android phone with two mail clients that use ActiveSync.  The ExMon tool, along with Event Viewer errors on my Hub Transport Server led me to this culprit.  As soon as I removed the Exchange account setup on one of the two mail clients on this Android phone, RPC Averaged Latency went way down, as well as CPU usage.  Exchange 2007 has built-in protection in the form of "backoffs", but the default settings were not keeping this single device from degrading performance for everyone.  Reference http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc540454(EXCHG.80).aspx.
    • Marked as answer by Tony Sperbeck Monday, October 31, 2011 3:02 AM
    Monday, October 31, 2011 3:02 AM

All replies

• One mailbox store is causing the whole system to go rogue means there’s something nasty in that store.
    Ask yourself how many mailboxes, how big those mailboxes are, how much traffic is going through the mailboxes in that store.

"Tony Sperbeck" wrote in message news:0984467b-e8bf-4d11-b41d-4f3064022fc5...

Hi, looking for expert advice...

My Exchange 2007 SP3 Mailbox server tends to report high (200ms+) RPC Averaged Latency.  I have 26 mailbox databases (one for each letter) for user mailboxes.  I've determined that if I dismount Mailbox Database M, the RPC Averaged Latency plummets down to under 25ms.  This does not happen when I dismount other mailbox databases.

Any suggestions on next steps I should take?  Do you think it's something wrong with the database?  Or could a particular Outlook client be bogging things down?

Mark Arnold, Exchange MVP.
    • Unmarked as answer by Tony Sperbeck Monday, October 31, 2011 2:53 AM
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:04 PM
  • Hi Tony,

Any update for your issue?
    Per your description, there are many reasons would cause the issue.
    1. Not excluded the Exchange directories from AV file level scanning.
    2. Some users use the mobile devices cuase the issue, and the mailbox in the special database, it is better to update the devices, or remove the devices and make some tests.
    3. ExclaimerSMTPAgent enabled also could cause the issue, please check it, and disable it to make some tests.
    4. Disk issue, use new one disk and move the mailbox on the new disk

Regards!
    Gavin

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. 

Monday, October 17, 2011 9:57 AM
  • I pinpointed the issue!  A user whose mailbox resides in the troblesome mailbox database has a Android phone with two mail clients that use ActiveSync.  The ExMon tool, along with Event Viewer errors on my Hub Transport Server led me to this culprit.  As soon as I removed the Exchange account setup on one of the two mail clients on this Android phone, RPC Averaged Latency went way down, as well as CPU usage.  Exchange 2007 has built-in protection in the form of "backoffs", but the default settings were not keeping this single device from degrading performance for everyone.  Reference http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc540454(EXCHG.80).aspx.
    • Marked as answer by Tony Sperbeck Monday, October 31, 2011 3:02 AM
    Monday, October 31, 2011 3:02 AM
  • Wow, that one device was the troublesome beast?!?
    Good to know.
    Cheers!

"Tony Sperbeck" wrote in message news:45b86f50-6079-452d-8ffd-938888e3fced...
    I pinpointed the issue!  A user whose mailbox resides in the troblesome mailbox database has a Android phone with two mail clients that use ActiveSync.  The ExMon tool, along with Event Viewer errors on my Hub Transport Server led me to this culprit.  As soon as I removed the Exchange account setup on one of the two mail clients on this Android phone, RPC Averaged Latency went way down, as well as CPU usage.  Exchange 2007 has built-in protection in the form of "backoffs", but the default settings were not keeping this single device from degrading performance for everyone.  Reference http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc540454(EXCHG.80).aspx.

Mark Arnold, Exchange MVP.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:58 PM