none
How do larger tech companies have the ability to install various OS on mutiple PCs? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small tech shop and sometimes a customer will need to have their OS reinstalled but they don't have the original discs. I know larger companies seem to have discs available at their disposal for this purpose. I would love the ability to keep discs of various operating systems in shop for installations without having to continually purchase a retail box every time.

Is there some way to get OS installation discs with volume licensing or something similar?  I lost a customer this week because I could not put a new installation of XP on his computer since I don't have an XP installation disc.

Sunday, August 11, 2013 9:40 PM

Answers

• I believe that you will not be able to find Windows XP media kit at this moment unless you are TechNet / MSDN subscriber. 

You can start downloading those ISO from Microsoft website that is used for Trial. Then use that to install your client computer and activate with the key that your client gave you.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. Milton Goh

• Marked as answer by Soh.M Thursday, October 3, 2013 8:28 AM
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:30 AM

All replies

• I believe that you will not be able to find Windows XP media kit at this moment unless you are TechNet / MSDN subscriber. 

You can start downloading those ISO from Microsoft website that is used for Trial. Then use that to install your client computer and activate with the key that your client gave you.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. Milton Goh

• Marked as answer by Soh.M Thursday, October 3, 2013 8:28 AM
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:30 AM
  • As a small tech firm you could purchase an Action pack which would provide you with the current range of installation disk, over a few years this would cover most of the install media you need.

Large organisations use Licensing plans which allow the media to be downloaded. This means that Microsoft supply an online data store that can be access anywhere with all the media. The other option large organisations do is to create a WDS with the OS that is used in the company.

Friday, August 23, 2013 2:01 PM
  • Thank you for the help. Just what the doctor ordered
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 10:20 PM