Installation missing App-V (5) Management console RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. The forum category selection didn't seem to want to work.

I have installed App-V 5 and appear to be missing the management server console (web site).  When I browse to the url and port that I installed it on I just get "Endpoint not found. Please see the service help page...."

In 'Administrative Events' I can see an error - failed to generate publishing metadata. Reason 'the underlying provider failed to open'.  I notice that the application pool is set to use NetworkService as its account.

Regards

Andy

Friday, October 18, 2013 1:45 AM

Answers

• Issue Resolved:

I reverted my VM back to before I installed APP-V 5 (SP1) and downloaded the latest copy (1992084).  The installation for this went through quite quickly and after installing Silverlight is working fine.

• Marked as answer by AndyW2007 Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:06 PM
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:06 PM

All replies

• What do you get if you uninstall and reinstall?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Friday, October 18, 2013 7:15 AM
  • I get the same when browsing to the hostname:port, try adding console.html to the url, e.g.: http://appvserver:81/console.html

Friday, October 18, 2013 7:25 AM
  • Note that App-V may use several ports (if all components are installed on the same machine).

You'd need the port of the Management site

You should check in IIS which port bindings the actual sites are using and if they match with the values specified in the registry. (HKLM/Software/Microsoft/App-V/...)

It is correct that the App-V Management AppPool uses NetworkService whereas the Publishing AppPool uses ApplicationPoolIdentity.

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Friday, October 18, 2013 8:30 AM
  • May want to check to see if a firewall (don't forget host based versions) is blocking communications on that port.

d

Friday, October 18, 2013 12:50 PM
  • Hi All, just in answer to all of the questions,

Uninstall/Reinstall - same problem.

Am adding Console to the URL, but still get Endpoint not found.  I do get the Help page if I replace console with help.

Have checked the bindings and they match the registry, which is also the URL I am entering in the browser.

No firewall enabled.

I do not understand what the 'Underlying provider failed to open' error refers to, the database is running and I can login using SQL Server Management Console.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 8:05 PM
  • Issue Resolved:

I reverted my VM back to before I installed APP-V 5 (SP1) and downloaded the latest copy (1992084).  The installation for this went through quite quickly and after installing Silverlight is working fine.

• Marked as answer by AndyW2007 Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:06 PM
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:06 PM