none
Getting really frustrated: "Replica is inconsistent" RRS feed

• Question

• The replica of Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\VM-XX on xxxx.XX.local is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. (ID: 3106)
    DPM encountered a retryable VSS error. (ID: 30112)

1. Searched everywhere.
    2. Reloaded Windows 2008-R2 on server and re-installed DPM 2010.
    3. Searched everywhere again.

C:\>vssadmin list providers
    vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2001 Microsoft Corp.

Provider name: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
       Provider type: System
       Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
       Version: 1.0.0.7

C:\>vssadmin list writers
    Does NOT list VSS writer but Volume Shadow Copy Service does start when I initiate a "Perform consistency check".

This is too complex to work on without proper documentation. Could Microsoft PLEASE assemble control flow diagrams indicating the static components involved plus the communications channels between the components?

How about divvying up the documentation clearly for DPM 2007 and 2010? and make it clear when something is for W2K8 vs W2K8-R2?

I found the QFE Rollup (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=f399fbfa-5c8b-4eb6-bda2-ea997745919a&displaylang=en) which helped with one problem. it installed even though its prerequisite (Windows6.1-KB2223201-x64.msu) would not install.

I also found http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff918788.aspx which helped to indicate where problems might be but wan't complete enough for my case.

If I shutdown the virtual machine, it synchronizes just fine and even creates a recovery point. But this really isn't so cool, especially as it is a DNS and DC server. The other machines seem ok since the QFE was installed. After the DC is shutdown, both it and all the other VMs soon show up with "Agent not reachable" because the "trust relationship between between this workstation and the primary domain failed". Once that happens, you cannot start a manual consistency check (even though you can refresh the connection in the "Agents" tab). If you start a consistency check on the VMS, it fails. So this one problem effectively wipes out the entire purpose of DPM althogether. There must be some way to re-enable it and I gues I'll try rebooting the server or something next.

There's got to be a way for the DPM developers to automate finding and reporting these problems somehow. This is a maintenance nightmare - try this, try that, nothing works - what about just displaying good old win32 error messages with the process names or file or what ever names so we can get a better idea? Even better, why can't the development team get a couple of complete novices to click all the wrong buttons and make all the wrong choices, and then make DPM recover from it with message boxes that are completely readable and understandable? Just a thought.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:18 AM

Answers

• Found it. Results posted in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399205.aspx as "Another Failure Reason".

I really want to underscore just how bad the documentation is for DPM 2010. This is really pathetic. Hey and not only the documentation. How hard could it possibly be for DPM to report the error properly? All I had to see was "Insufficent disk space in Virtual Machine", or even "Insuffient Disk Space". What an absolutely ridiculous waste of time.

• Marked as answer by BobH2 Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:09 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:54 PM

All replies

• Found it. Results posted in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399205.aspx as "Another Failure Reason".

I really want to underscore just how bad the documentation is for DPM 2010. This is really pathetic. Hey and not only the documentation. How hard could it possibly be for DPM to report the error properly? All I had to see was "Insufficent disk space in Virtual Machine", or even "Insuffient Disk Space". What an absolutely ridiculous waste of time.

• Marked as answer by BobH2 Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:09 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Just to add:

[And before I start, I should say there are a lot of brilliant things in DPM otherwise I wouldn't be sticking with it at this point.]

If someone at Microsoft wants to provide a true solution, start with real documentation. Here's a start:

Installed Software (Add Remove Programs) 

Hyper-V

o   Hyper-V Integration Services (version 6.1.7601.17514)

o   Shadow Copy Client

Data Protection manager

o   Microsoft System Centre DPM 2010 Agent Coordinator (during install)

o   Microsoft System Centre DPM Protection Agent (once installed)

§  Microsoft System Centre DPM Protection Agent Update – KB2465832

Services

Hyper-V

o   Hyper-V Data Exchange Service                                                                                Automatic

o   Hyper-V  Guest Shutdown Service                                                                           Automatic

o   Hyper-V Heartbeat Service                                                                                         Automatic

o   Hyper-V Time Synchronization Service                                                                  Automatic

o   Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Requestor                                                           Automatic

Data Protection Manager

o   DPMRA                                                                                                                                 Manual

Standard

o   Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider                                                         Manual

o   Virtual Disk Service                                                                                                        Manual

o   Volume Shadow Copy                                                                                                   Manual

Host

Hyper-V

o    Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management Service

o   Hyper-V Networking Management Service

o   Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management

[Please no one should take this as the real, accurate list - this is just a guess on my part about what is installed and what services SHOULD BE running. We SHOULD NOT HAVE TO GUESS.]

Also how about that 300MB on the VHD that is used by DPM? When does it get created? How do we see it? If a partition backs up once, dose it always remain in existence or does it get created every tme there is a backup? And how do we see if it exists? Doesn't show up in Windows Explorer (unless I missed it time wise).

Document how to calculate how much disk space should be requried for VSS.

Now what the microsoft person can do is make sure this is the complete list, provide the versions we should see for different releases, etc. AND tell us what each item does.

Then describe how they work together. What are the steps? How long should each run for? Explain along the way why some are supposed to always be running and why some are started manually.

Describe when status get updated, when events get written to the event log.

Give us a comprehensive working theory so we can perform informed diagnostic procedures and invoke intelligent troubleshooting techniques. Searching all over the Internet, trying to figure out if a DPM 2007 update or problem applies to DPM 2010 is too time consuming. When a customer is down, they want a solution immediately. Taking two days to sort through KB's that do not install correctly, or trying "suggestions" and things that do not work simply because no one actually knows how to discover the problem befoe applying a solution but they did work for someone in a particular instance, or wiping protection groups just to reset them are all ludicrous, absolutely stupid approaches. If the customer had to watch anyone do this, OMG!

It looks like the way we are expected to work on DPM by Microsoft is:

Search Internet -> Try solution after solution after solution -> When it finally works, discover the problem.

What real troublehsooting is in a properly documented and supported product:

Theoretcial Knowledge -> Investigate -> Determine real, actual problem -> Solve Problem.

And documentation is one thing. DPM itself NEEDS either better error messages or a self-diagnosing, self-troubleshooting analysis tool.

If anyone wants to post their opinion here either for or against, love to see it.

Bob.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:32 PM