SUMMARY TASK DURATION CALCULATION RRS feed

• Question

• When the Project Calendar is different from the Resource Calendar the Summary Task duration does not equal the difference between the Early Start Date and the Latest Finish Date of the sub-tasks - i.e. the difference between the  time interval from the start of the earliest sub-task to the finish of the latest sub-task. Why?
    Sunday, March 1, 2020 5:43 PM

Answers

• Rahul Kulkarni,

First, you can't attach files to a response on the forum. You can however post a reference to a website where you have loaded a file or screen shot. After you have established yourself on the forum you will be "verified" to post screen shots directly.

With respect to your question. In the screen shot below the Project calendar is the Standard calendar. Both resources have a Base Calendar that includes Saturday and Sunday as normal workdays (i.e. 7 day workweek). Note that the default definition of a "day" is 8 hours so whatever is shown in the Duration field is calculated in 8 hour segments. The summary task shows 8 work days since it is on the Project (Standard) calendar. Task a shows 10 days since the assigned resource works a full 7 day workweek. The same for task b

If you want the summary line to show a duration consistent with a 7-day workweek, then you need to set the Task Calendar appropriately.

Hopes this explains it.

John

Monday, March 2, 2020 7:57 PM

All replies

• RAH...

It works for me so we need to have a more detailed example of why you think it is not working.

John

Sunday, March 1, 2020 8:08 PM
  • Dear John,

New Question - There is no option to attach files - How do I attach files to this query?

Therefore Attaching Only Image Files - Because only option to attach Image Or Hyperlink Or Block is there

Image file too cannot be attached - The website says "Verify Account"

Note - Microsoft Project File & Microsoft Excel Days Calculation Files Are Attached For Reference

The Summary Days (72) is the number of Total Project Days (100) minus the Number of Holidays (28) i.e. Saturdays & Sundays specified in the "Copy of Standard" Calendar which is a Custom Calendar created by me with Saturdays and Sundays Marked as Working Days.

The Default "Standard" Calendar is the "Project Calendar" and the "Copy of Standard" is assigned to All the Resources.

My question is same -

When the Project Calendar is different from the Resource Calendar the Summary Task duration does not equal the difference between the Early Start Date and the Latest Finish Date of the sub-tasks - i.e. the difference between the  time interval from the start of the earliest sub-task to the finish of the latest sub-task. Why?

With Thanks & Best Regards,

Rahul Kulkarni.
    Monday, March 2, 2020 4:41 PM
  • Even though my account is verified after entering authorization code - Still the website says Verify Account to attach images
    Monday, March 2, 2020 5:25 PM
  • Rahul Kulkarni,

First, you can't attach files to a response on the forum. You can however post a reference to a website where you have loaded a file or screen shot. After you have established yourself on the forum you will be "verified" to post screen shots directly.

With respect to your question. In the screen shot below the Project calendar is the Standard calendar. Both resources have a Base Calendar that includes Saturday and Sunday as normal workdays (i.e. 7 day workweek). Note that the default definition of a "day" is 8 hours so whatever is shown in the Duration field is calculated in 8 hour segments. The summary task shows 8 work days since it is on the Project (Standard) calendar. Task a shows 10 days since the assigned resource works a full 7 day workweek. The same for task b

If you want the summary line to show a duration consistent with a 7-day workweek, then you need to set the Task Calendar appropriately.

Hopes this explains it.

John

Monday, March 2, 2020 7:57 PM
  • Dear John,

Yes - Your Explanation Has Completely Solved My Query - Thanks A Lot.

Thanks Again & With The Very Best Regards,

Vikas Kulkarni.

Tuesday, March 3, 2020 2:25 PM
  • Vikas Kuldarni,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Tuesday, March 3, 2020 3:21 PM