none
"Recipient Rate Limit" for shared mailboxes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,<o:p></o:p>

We have defined a new throttling policy with RecipientRateLimit set to 500. The policy was applied to user mailboxes and to shared mailboxes.<o:p></o:p>

Some users have “Send as” permissions for the shared mailboxes.<o:p></o:p>

What happens if a user sends as a shared mailbox? Will RecipientRateLimit count for the user or the shared mailbox?<o:p></o:p>

Regards,<o:p></o:p>

Philipp<o:p></o:p>

Monday, February 20, 2017 11:18 AM

Answers

• I would expect it to against the actual sender, not the shared mailbox. That is who is authenticated and is the real sender in message tracking.

Blog:    Twitter:   

Yes indeed, if I check message tracking I can only see the users mailbox and not the shared mailbox.

Yea, there are different ways throttling is applied. When you apply something like max concurrency to a shared mailbox, that should work as expected. However, something like rate recipient rate is checked when the user logs in and submits the message, so it applies to the actual sender, not the mailbox you are sending as.

• Marked as answer by PhilippMair Friday, February 24, 2017 9:31 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 12:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Phillip,

what is the ThrottlingPolicyScope set to? Is it Regular or Organisation?

What happens if a user sends as a shared mailbox? Will RecipientRateLimit count for the user or the shared mailbox? ---> It will be applied to shared mailbox as the user is sending an email as Shared mailbox 

If  ThrottlingPolicyScope is set to org, then it really doesn't matter as the recipientratelimit will be applicable on the mailboxes in the organisation

Hope this help

MCSA Office 365 | MCSA Exchange server 2010 | Red Hat Certified Engineer | https://www.linkedin.com/in/abrar-kaberi-46a483102/

• Marked as answer by PhilippMair Monday, February 20, 2017 3:57 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by PhilippMair Friday, February 24, 2017 9:31 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2017 11:29 AM
  • Thanks for the quick response.

The scope is set to regular.

Monday, February 20, 2017 3:57 PM
  • At any time if you want you can set the scope to Org- Which then gets applied to all the recipients (User/shared/room mailboxes)

Additional info:- Since there is no direct way to logon to a shared mailbox (As we always indirectly log on to a shared mailbox via delegate access), hence the limit will be applicable to a shared mailbox when sent as shared.

Thank you for your response. Appreciate 

Have a good one 

MCSA Office 365 | MCSA Exchange server 2010 | Red Hat Certified Engineer | https://www.linkedin.com/in/abrar-kaberi-46a483102/

Monday, February 20, 2017 4:29 PM
  • I would expect it to against the actual sender, not the shared mailbox. That is who is authenticated and is the real sender in message tracking.

Monday, February 20, 2017 6:23 PM

Yes indeed, if I check message tracking I can only see the users mailbox and not the shared mailbox.
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 7:18 AM

Then it would change the definition of applying throttling policy to a shared mailbox.  I am not sure if this is an assumption based on message tracking or it is practically not possible to have Recipient rate limit set on shared/room mailboxes (Based on some meaningful testing)

What if you run below command for the shared mailbox:-

Get-ThrottlingPolicyAssociation sharedmailbox@contoso.com | format-list

Probably there is a certain need to test it practically rather than following theoretical approach

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:07 AM

Yea, there are different ways throttling is applied. When you apply something like max concurrency to a shared mailbox, that should work as expected. However, something like rate recipient rate is checked when the user logs in and submits the message, so it applies to the actual sender, not the mailbox you are sending as.

• Marked as answer by PhilippMair Friday, February 24, 2017 9:31 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 12:26 PM
  • We've done some tests now and it seems that the limit is actually counting for the sender and not the shared mailbox.

Regards,

Philipp

Friday, February 24, 2017 9:31 AM
  • Thnx Phillip for testing this.

I am glad correct answer is marked on this thread now. 

Have a good one 

Friday, February 24, 2017 10:18 AM