Windows Defender - warn when email hyperlink points to a different URL than displayed link RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Not sure this is the right forum, I would like to know if a certain feature is available in Windows Defender (or suggest it for a future version).

Often times email scammers use a technique whereby the text displayed for the hyperlink and the underlying URL are not the same. The displayed hyperlink text seems safe but the underlying URL points to a fraudulous/hazardous place.

Unlike IT pros, general users don't necessarily think about looking into the actual URL (by hovering the mouse over the hyperlink) and end up clicking on undesired hyperlinks.

Could Windows Defender warn about this? i.e. looking into email hyperlinks that start with http... and the fact that the underlying URL wouldn't be the same?

Thank you,

Steve

Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:25 PM

All replies

• Windows Defender does not have this "Phishing" detection capability. You can check if this could be achieved on your messaging system level.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Sunday, February 18, 2018 11:38 PM