I wonder why I cannot use anymore all components in VB6 after the annual upgrade of Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello my friends

I have recently upgraded my Windows 10 with the annual upgrade that came out in august 2016. After that upgrade, I cannot use certain components in VB6 anymore.

When I start my projects, I noticed that projects that use components like Richtext, Comm, CommDialog, FlexGrid, etc,

the projects gives "Permission denied" warnings. Projects that do not use these components have no problems.

Is Microsoft going to fix this and if yes, when will they fix this??

Thanks in advance

Catharinus van der Werf

Leeuwarden, the Neterlands

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 11:36 AM

Answers

• Deleted
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:07 AM
  • Thanks AlanPlum

Thanks for your explanation about the Run as Administrator. I already hoped this was what I had to do.

At this moment I cannot check your solution as I restored my Windows to the previous preAnnual Upgrade situation and Microsoft does not offer the annual Upgrade now. So I have to wait a little to check it.

Thanks anyway and in advance

Catharninus

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 3:31 PM

All replies

• VB6 was released in 1998 and is no longer supported in win 10.  Microsoft is not doing any development on it

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 11:42 AM
  • Thank Zigzag

Microsoft has committed itself to keep VB6 working. Even in Windows 10, so ... See internet.

Catharinus

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 1:25 PM
  • Thanks Alanplum

I have just removed the Annual Upgrade (augustus 2016) so, that is a pity, because it is timeconsuming.

But are you sure that it works with the last annual Upgrade when  I am working as administrator?

How can I run an existing project 'as administrator'?

Catharinus

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 1:29 PM
  • You mean the VB6 runtime, which is indeed still supported.
    But the IDE is not supported on Windows 10:
    Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012, and Windows 10

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 2:31 PM
  • Hello AlanPlum

I am allways logged in as an administrator, because my account is assigned  as an administrator

is that the reason why I do not see the choise: 'Run as administrator'?

If that is true, than your solution does not work on my pc

Thanks

Catharinus

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 3:18 PM
  • Oke Eckis

your are right

Thanks

Catharinus

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 9:38 PM
  • Hi Catharinus,

It seems that your question has been resolved, glad to hear this good news, thanks for your updating.

The Eckis’s suggestion is helpful to VB6 components issue, please mark his reply to help other forum users get helpful information from this case.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:29 AM
  • Hi

I don't think my question has yet been resolved enough.

Ecki only made a remark about VB-IDE

I hope for more comment from AlanPlum

Catharinus

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 2:27 AM
  • Thanks AlanPlum

Thanks for your explanation about the Run as Administrator. I already hoped this was what I had to do.

At this moment I cannot check your solution as I restored my Windows to the previous preAnnual Upgrade situation and Microsoft does not offer the annual Upgrade now. So I have to wait a little to check it.

Thanks anyway and in advance

Catharninus

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 3:31 PM