Windows 7 started freezing then went unstable RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

For the past couple of months my year and a half old Dell (xps 8300 with 16 gb ram, 3T hard drive,3.4 cpu ande running 64 bits) started to randomly freeze. I thought it might be to a new installation of Norton Security.  Last week, computer would not open at all.... Dell said it was that windows was unstable and did a reinstall.

The computer still freezes, at least once every day. For the first year I had no problems at all. I have no idea where to turn as Dell does not seem to understand what the problem might be and neither do I at this point. The freezes are random.... sometimes during the night even though the machine is set to "never sleep", sometimes when I am coping a large file. (In restoring my cloud backup, Crashplan, I am trying to make a copy of the index but whenever I try to copy it, the computer also crashes.... the indeex is large.... 1T.

Would greatly appreciate it if anyone had any ideas what might be wrong.

TIA for your time to answer!

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System
    Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key.
    Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Please
    upload to your Sky Drive, share with everyone and post a link here.

Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your Sky Drive and post a link here.

To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log.

Please say if you need help in using Sky Drive.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:01 PM
  • Helen Mn

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file here (if you can) to skydrive or a file sharing service

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:20 PM
  • Also, see:

Optimize Windows 7 for better performance
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/optimize-windows-7-for-better-performance

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Tuesday, April 2, 2013 4:05 AM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:19 AM