Windows Updates taking the internet link down RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Since I upgraded all my workstations at the office to Windows 10 pro in late July, I'm having major issues regarding to updates. Every time that one of the workstations is downloading updates, my internet link either becomes excessively slow or even is taken down. It only gets back to normal when the machine finishes downloading the updates.

Is anyone experiencing the same issue?

I've tried a couple of things to fix it (see it below), but none has solved the issue for good.

Things I've tried:

1 - Implemented QoS queues and set up bandwidth rate limit on my switch core;
    2 - Bandwidth filtering using Untangle;
    3 - Customization on how the updates are deployed by using GPO with the following settings applied:
          - Network/Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
          -
    Network/QoS Packet Scheduler;
          -
    Windows Components/Delivery Optimization Download mode set to LAN;
          -
    Windows Components/Windows Update set to notify for download.

When the workstations are downloading the updates, the sessions established with the Microsoft servers use ports 443 and 80. I haven't tried yet setting up packet filtering or limits based on protocols, that would require some investment in my current network setup.

I would really appreciate if someone else could share their own experiences and approaches or best practices regarding to the matter, or if you had more luck than me in solving this.

Thank you.

Daniel

Daniel Bragante MCSA Windows Server 2008

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hello

Peer-to-peer downloads can serve your purpose, and if enabled they will support two modes: systems will be able to either retrieve updates from other machines on the same local network, or from both the local network and PCs on the Internet

Regards, Regin Ravi

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 8:21 AM
  • Hi Regin,

You´re talking about the "Advanced Settings>Choose how updates are delivered" settings right? That didn´t improve the situation at all. The machines do eventually share updates between them, but as Microsoft in fact states, the download process never pulls 100% of the updates from a unique source...and when the PC hits the internet, the link goes down.

By the way, one of the GPO settings I mentioned above deals exactly with that feature (Windows Components/Delivery Optimization Download).

Thanks for answering anyway. :)

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 1:42 PM
  • Windows 10 Networking is severely flawed. I brought my Win 10 laptop to a customer, connected to their wireless and started working. From time to time (like 5 minutes) the wireless was disconnected. No problem to reconnect but it kept repeating. Finally I realized the laptop had been downloading updates and started to install them.

It’s a mystery to me why MS skipped the perfectly working core infrastructure of Windows 7 and redesigned buggish network functions in 10. It must have cost millions of dollars to no use. Yet they already had a working OS they throw away.

When Will They Ever Learn?

Best regards, George

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 5:02 PM
  • Hey George,

To be honest I'm finding Windows 10 quite stable a part from this issue with Updates. I've done over 50 upgrades for clients in the past two months and I haven't had a single complaint.

I did for my personal laptop as well and it works just fine.

Maybe it's a matter of luck? Or hardware incompatibility somehow?

Cheers! 

Thursday, September 8, 2016 1:19 AM
  • We have not heard from you in a couple of days. Please post back at your convenience if we can assist further.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 8:11 AM
  • No answer has been provided actually...

It seems like only third-party apps are able to prevent the issue.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 8:19 AM
  • do you use WSUS? I would in your case. Set the sync schedule to do the downloading out of hours.

I totally agree the whole update system is flawed! They took a good working system and turned it upside down for what reason I don't know.. probably to give us all headaches.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 8:23 AM
  • WSUS is a valid option for those who use 2012 OS. The issue is that many of the clients I've installed Windows 10, have their servers with Small Business Server OS prior to 2012.

I use Untangle as WebFilter, among many other features. Their latest version seems to do the bandwidth control job pretty well using quotas for nodes that are downloading excessive amount of data from the internet. The good thing is that those quotas don't affect normal internet usage such as site surfing, e-mails or even video streaming.

But thanks for your reply anyway. :)

Regards.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 4:12 AM