Installing Windows XP to a Slave Drive to become the Boot Drive in a different system RRS feed

• Question

• I was recently given a laptop that has turned out to be infected with a virus. Of course, the previous owner did not keep Windows 7 updated, nor the security software, and then after it was infected, attempted to update said software and kill the virus. Epic fail.

I tried installing Windows Defender Offline to a USB drive and running a scan on the laptop. This seemed to succeed, but as soon as the system reinstalled, the virus was back. I have been advised that the virus is a "snake"? I have since yanked the laptop hard drive out of the machine and slaved it to my Windows XP Home machine and am now using a fully updated copy of MSE to scan it. However, I am having another thought.

I have an old copy of Windows XP Pro with License Key that is not currently installed on any machine. The laptop has only 2 GB of RAM and a single Core CPU and would run XP much better than it does Windows 7. Is it possible, while this laptop's HDD is slaved to my desktop, to use this Windows XP Pro disk to install WinXP Pro to the laptop HDD and then to put the laptop HDD back into the laptop? If I could do this, then I would could just perform a thorough format of the laptop HDD, eradicate the virus for good and get a better running machine in the process, right?

Friday, December 14, 2012 10:06 PM

All replies

• You would have the wrong hardware configuration doing it this way and when you put the HDD back into the laptop, XP will crash as a result.

Download a utility from the internet to wipe the laptop's HDD clean while you have it slaved to the desktop and then put the HDD back into the laptop and install XP.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, December 15, 2012 11:45 AM
  • The problem with that is the XP CD is pre-SP3, and won't recognize the SATA drive. As I recall, doesn't Windows just request the CD Key again, not crash, when it detects a change in the configuration? That is what I am expecting, anyway. The problem is using an existing Windows XP machine to install a diff version of XP onto a slave drive. I don't know how to make it do that without booting from the XP CD. How do OEMs mass produce imaged drives for their products? That's essentially what I'm trying to do, but only once for the license I have, Right?
    Saturday, December 15, 2012 6:22 PM
  • Windows XP is not as forgiving about the hardware, especially the motherboard, as Vista and Windows 7 are.  If the primary parts of the motherboard such as the chipset are not substantially the same, XP usually will not boot up because of the hardware difference.

How are you going to install it from the system you are slaving the HDD to?

Actually Windows 7 probably runs better on the laptop than XP.  I installed Windows 7 on a netbook and a laptop that came with XP and both of them run better with Windows 7 than they did with XP.

What is the exact make, model, and series of the laptop?  It is conceivable that you may have some trouble finding the hardware drivers for your laptop to run XP.  This is not a project to jump into without doing a lot of homework and research to ensure you have everything your need before you start.

Do you have a Windows 7 Product key for the laptop?

You must remember that there has been a lot of advancement between XP going to Vista then Win 7 as far as how the system is installed and how it copes with changes.  Vista and Win 7 support much more hardware configurations than XP did.

OEM discs have the hardware drivers slipstreamed into the media.  The OEM discs are customized by the OEM for use on their line of hardware.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, December 15, 2012 7:39 PM
  • formertechie  hello if you can connect your old hard drive to another computer, so it sees two yes , go- to my computer and explore  there you will see a list of hdd cd usb floppy drives. chose the second hard drive right click and format the drive this will scrub the hdd . once its scrubed use microsoft one time scanner to clean up your hdds do the formated disk second . when there both clean take out the disks install the new formatted one and do a clean xp install on it . when all this is done update your sp2-3 instal mse.

kmn

Sunday, December 23, 2012 3:06 AM
  • Hello there,

you run in a lot of problems if you do what you want to do. 

First, as long as you do not remove that virus it is still there and sooner or later will be active again.

so you have to remove that virus or format your Hard disk.

Second, if you do a (pre)install for an other machine/hardware you can do 2 things to make it work, 

a when the installation is completed run sysprep 

b remove in your hardware list the VGA adaptor and the IDE adaptors 

switch off your machine and reboot on the new machine

both these options will not give you 100% results.

Third, Why do an installation on different hardware 

If you want to use that old laptop, install a hard disk

and run XP installation eventualy with a disk format or partition redefinition.

Hope I can help you with this,............

MSDN Han Holtslag

Monday, April 29, 2013 5:03 PM