none
Bug? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have a view with:

Screen: task usage

Table: costs

The view display the fixed costs of the task in the right side of the view. The costs are displayed for each task and for each month of the project.

When i do a print preview, i chosse the option to print the total of the column. But the total dont correspond to the sum of all the tasks in that month.

It happens in project 2010 and 2013!

What is wrong?

Monday, May 6, 2013 10:56 PM

Answers

• francisco,

Thanks for the link to your file. That made the difference. I totally missed the print preview total of 200 in your screen shot so I wasn't seeing a problem even though it was there. Sorry for that.

The bottom line, the file is corrupt. Save the file as XML and then re-open in Project. I think you will see the problem is gone. Note: you will lose custom formatting using this process.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, May 10, 2013 2:53 AM
  • I'm guessing it is the last task that you copied from the other file?  I deleted the task.  Added it back in and entered the same fixed rate.  All was well.  I agree with John, try saving the file as XML.

Julie

Friday, May 10, 2013 1:08 PM

All replies

• The Fixed cost field does not roll up to the Fixed cost for the summary task - it rolls up to the cost field. Have you entered fixed costs for the summary tasks which are not the sum of the sub tasks?  I see what you report - but only when I have fixed costs entered at the summary task lines.  The column totals seems to calculate correctly without fixed costs at the summary line.

Turn on the Project Summary task to see the monthly calculation for all costs.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 12:19 AM
  • Not really like you say

the column total dont sum  the summary line, but it also dont sum all the subtasks of the project.

I tried with a project with a summary and 3 subtasks and it doesent sum all the subtask!

That must realy be a bug!

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 2:46 PM
  • I'm not able to see this error in my installation.  I have SP-1 and the latest Cumulative update installed to project 2010.  Please check to see what updates you have installed.
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:20 PM
  • Julie,

Just for reference, I only have SP1 installed and I also am unable to replicate the problem shown in Francisco's screen shot. However in the KB article describing fixes in SP1 I see no mention of any fixes for problems with the Fixed Cost or Cost fields, nor anything having to do with the Task Usage view itself.

One would assume that in the screen shot the "Custo" is in fact the Cost field and not the Fixed Cost field renamed. The literal translation of "Custo" is "Cost" but who knows.

John

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 4:01 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for the confirmation.  I don't know if it may be an issue with a different language pack.  My assumption is the screen that is shown is the Fixed Cost field as I don't see the rollup to the Project Summary Task.

Francisco - can you please confirm that you are entering data into the Fixed Cost field and can you also confirm that you have the correct total cost in the Cost field?

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 4:35 PM
  • Hello

I have project 2010 SP1, not really shure about the cumulative update version.

But that issue also happens in project 2013. As 2013 version doesen't allow the clash flow report (how is that possible???), the only solution was to use the task usage.

I can confirm that the field "Custo" is the Fixed Cost field.

But i don't understand what you're asking about "you have the correct total cost in the Cost field?"

Thanks for your help

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 8:23 PM
  • francisco,

As Julie stated, the Fixed Cost field does NOT roll up. In order to see the total at the summary level you need to display the Cost field.

But I'm a little confused. First of all I do not speak Portuguese so I have to use a Google language translator. That translator says that Custo in Portuguese is Cost in English and that Custo Fixo in Portuguese is Fixed Cost in English. So why do you say that Custo is the Fixed Cost field?

John

Thursday, May 9, 2013 2:32 AM
  • Hello

The field Custo is the fixed cost labeled as "custo", as i want to display the fixed costs of the tasks without the resources costs.

But this issue is for both fields "fixed cost" and "cost"(the real one).

The example i provided is from a large project template with more than 200 tasks and 200 resources, where i erased all the resources and all the remaining tasks. However the three tasks in the example have the same properties and no resource assigned, just fixed costs. In the example, the total cost dont sum the first task.

I'm trying to replicate this error from a new project, but until now i was not able to do it.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 7:25 PM
  • Francisco,

Okay, that explains things. If you relabeled  the Fixed Cost field as "Custo", then I see no error in the screen shot you attached. If you can show us a screen shot with the normal Cost field showing no value at the summary line, then we have something to analyze, but as of now, I don't see any problem.

John

Thursday, May 9, 2013 8:30 PM
  • Jonh

How dont you see no error? The sum of the 3 tasks fixed costs should be 300, not 200!

I dont want to see the summary total, i want to see the total line of the all project correctly displayed as 300, not 200.

There are tasks for which the project doesent sum the fixed cost field, but i dont understand why, as those tasks are apparently equal to the other tasks.

Unfortnatly, until now i could not replicate this issue in a new project. But if i copy one task with this problem to a new project, the issue goes on. As that task as nothing assigned to it, except the duration and the fixed cost, why is it not added to the total line? 

Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:22 PM
  • Here's a link to a project with that error: in a print preview, the total lin soulh be 1040, not 40. The last task is not being added to the total

Project File

Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:31 PM
  • francisco,

Thanks for the link to your file. That made the difference. I totally missed the print preview total of 200 in your screen shot so I wasn't seeing a problem even though it was there. Sorry for that.

The bottom line, the file is corrupt. Save the file as XML and then re-open in Project. I think you will see the problem is gone. Note: you will lose custom formatting using this process.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, May 10, 2013 2:53 AM
  • I'm guessing it is the last task that you copied from the other file?  I deleted the task.  Added it back in and entered the same fixed rate.  All was well.  I agree with John, try saving the file as XML.

Julie

Friday, May 10, 2013 1:08 PM
  • I can confirm the problem is realy in the tasks that are corrupt. But i think the problem is in the tasks not in the file, as when i copy/past the task to a new file, the problem goes on in the new file.

As the file with the problem is a very large one, with many formatation and views, now i'll try to export to XML, erase all the tasks and resources, clean everithing well, and then import back the XML, i think it will work.

Thanks for your help!

Friday, May 10, 2013 2:36 PM
  • francisco,

You're welcome. The fact that you could not reproduce the problem in a new Project file supports the theory of corruption in the original. I've never seen corruption that followed a task when it was copied and pasted to another file but then I've never really tried doing that. When I see corruption in a file, I always work to clean the whole file.

I'm glad we were able to figure it out. Making your file available to us was a big help. It is very difficult to troubleshoot someone's file without actually having the file.

John

Friday, May 10, 2013 2:48 PM