none
Is it possible to manually create a recovery point based on yesterday's synchronization? RRS feed

• Question

• In http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399031.aspx one finds the following quote: "A user makes changes to a file on the volume at 1:30 P.M.; however, when another user makes changes an hour later, the file is inadvertently corrupted, and you are asked to recover the file with the first user's changes. Because the changes at 1:30 P.M. were made after the most recent recovery point was created at 12:00 P.M., you cannot recover the file from the most recent recovery point. However, you can manually create a recovery point from the appropriate synchronization of that replica and then recover the file from that new recovery point."

But in the TechNet documentation of "How to Create a Recovery Point" from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399308.aspx, the only example given mentions "using the latest possible recovery point". That documentation matches my experience with attempting to create a recovery point using the GUI.

Here is a common scenario, based on the recovery operations I have been asked to perform in the past:

Volume ABC is synchronized every 15 minutes. Recovery points are being created every day at 8AM, 10AM, 12PM, 2PM, 4PM and 6PM. User 1 opens a file at 12:15PM, makes changes to it and saves the file at 1PM. User 1 reopens the same file at 1:30 PM, deletes most of the contents of the file, intending to do "Save As" to create a new file but inadvertantly chooses Save at 1:45PM instead of Save As. The FOLLOWING DAY, User 1 discovers the mistake and asks me to recover the file as it existed at 1PM the previous day.

Is there any way possible to create a manual recovery point that uses the synchronization point from 1PM the previous day?

Thank you,

Eric

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

the only recovery point that could be created would be based on the Last synchronization that occured.

So you wouldn't be able to create the sync for the 1PM sync (previous day).

• Proposed as answer by Jérémy Sihassen Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by IT Juggler Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:44 PM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the only recovery point that could be created would be based on the Last synchronization that occured.

So you wouldn't be able to create the sync for the 1PM sync (previous day).

• Proposed as answer by Jérémy Sihassen Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by IT Juggler Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:44 PM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:31 PM
  • So the only way to protect against that scenario is to either schedule more recovery points or hope it never happens again, right? Is there a limit to the number of recovery points I can schedule per day, as long as I adjust the retention range down to keep the total number of recovery points under 64?

- Eric

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:19 PM
  • 64 RP max yes and at least one per day.

So you need to make sure you have a correct retention range for your needs.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:51 PM
  • at least one per day.

One per day is the minimum number per day. Is there a maximum number per day? Is it possible to have recovery points every 30 minutes during business hours? That would create 16 RPs a day and I could set a 4-day retention range to keep the total number at 64.

- Eric

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:57 PM
  • That would be a possibility :)
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 11:31 PM