none
Is there a fix for Communicator listing Groups larger than 100 members RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to have all of our AD members show up automatically on the contact list. I tried the group method but the communicator application complains about the group being over 100 items. Is there any way for me to accomplish this?

Thanks
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 4:19 PM

Answers

• Actually that setting alone won't be enough as the clients are hard coded for 100 as well.  The upper limit can be increased, but only to 150 at most.

Take a look at this TechNet article for instructions on modifying the MaxDLExpansion policy on OFfice Communicator clients: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945542

Here is a sample .adm template for this setting as it is not included in the standard communicator.adm template.

CLASS MACHINE

CATEGORY "OCMaxDLExpansion"
    POLICY "OCMaxDLExpansion"
    EXPLAIN "Sets the maximum allowed distribution group membership value that Communicator can display"
    KEYNAME "SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Communicator"
    	PART "MaxDLExpansion" NUMERIC
    		VALUENAME "MaxDLExpansion"
    		MIN 1
    		MAX 150
    		DEFAULT 150
    	END PART
    END POLICY
    END CATEGORY

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, February 8, 2010 2:16 PM
  • Spike1197,

Jeff hit the nail on the head (awesome sample template), there is some documentation out there saying you can go to 250, but it is hardcoded (in the application, not just a policy template) to 150, I have seen the code.

You can defiantly do the pre-populate (though I am not sure directly to recent contacts, but other groups). It involves manipulating the database though, and can be a bit tricky especially when you already have users on the servers. One thing that may help in this is to create a new pool. Are you running SE or EE?

If you need extra help, you can reach us at: InitialAssist@cbfive.com See my blogs at http://www.cbfive.com/blog - Jared Crandall
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:25 AM

All replies

• Hi
    You can change it you can refer to below link:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd572720(office.13).aspx
    -> Pool | Web Component Properties | Address Book | Group expansion | Maximum Group Size

Regards!
    gavin
    Monday, February 8, 2010 8:36 AM
  • Actually that setting alone won't be enough as the clients are hard coded for 100 as well.  The upper limit can be increased, but only to 150 at most.

Take a look at this TechNet article for instructions on modifying the MaxDLExpansion policy on OFfice Communicator clients: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945542

Here is a sample .adm template for this setting as it is not included in the standard communicator.adm template.

CLASS MACHINE

CATEGORY "OCMaxDLExpansion"
    POLICY "OCMaxDLExpansion"
    EXPLAIN "Sets the maximum allowed distribution group membership value that Communicator can display"
    KEYNAME "SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Communicator"
    	PART "MaxDLExpansion" NUMERIC
    		VALUENAME "MaxDLExpansion"
    		MIN 1
    		MAX 150
    		DEFAULT 150
    	END PART
    END POLICY
    END CATEGORY

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, February 8, 2010 2:16 PM
  • Seems limiting that one wouldn't be able to see all of our users at a sub 400 employee company. Maybe there is a better solution for what I am trying to accomplish. Do you have a suggestion for adding all users automatically to the recent contacts (as default). I would just set offline users to hidden initially.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 4:53 AM
  • Spike1197,

Jeff hit the nail on the head (awesome sample template), there is some documentation out there saying you can go to 250, but it is hardcoded (in the application, not just a policy template) to 150, I have seen the code.

You can defiantly do the pre-populate (though I am not sure directly to recent contacts, but other groups). It involves manipulating the database though, and can be a bit tricky especially when you already have users on the servers. One thing that may help in this is to create a new pool. Are you running SE or EE?

If you need extra help, you can reach us at: InitialAssist@cbfive.com See my blogs at http://www.cbfive.com/blog - Jared Crandall
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:25 AM
  • Hi,

Same error I am facing in LYNC 2010.

Can you please help me out on this..

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:19 AM
  • As the upper limit (ie 100 or 150) is hard coded the only way to fix it is to re-write the hard code. One could hack the code and possibly 'fix' it that way, but such actions would be against the EULA. The other way is to get MS to update this. Personally, I have always been against hard arbitrary limits - and if the customer is willing to pay the 'cost' in having, in this case, huge DLs, why not?

Maybe you could lobby Microsoft to update this either in an upcoming roll up patch, or the next version. Sadly, in the mean time, there's not much you can do.

Thomas Lee Doctordns@Gmail.Com
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 11:05 AM
  • Since OCS was RTMd back in 2007 there were countless topics about the hard-coded 100 limit (or 150, I really not sure which one is true today), still MS didnt do a step.
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 8:31 AM
  • Hi Spike,

Vytru Contacts Manager for Microsoft Lync (http://www.vytru.com/contacts-manager/) is the right solution for what you are looking for, using Contacts Manger is easy, start off by building a single unified contact list, or multiple contact lists, create groups, and then add contacts to the groups. Subsequently, you will populate the contact list to all your Lync users at once. Update your contact lists on a regular basis by adding new employees and removing those who left and push the updates to your Lync users.

in this case you wont have to the use the DL to avoid the members limitation.

Regards,

Ahmed

Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:04 PM