SharePoint 2010: Track Hours/Time RRS feed

• Question

• First, sorry if this is not the right place for this question, I wasn't sure where exactly it would fit best.

On topic,

I am wondering what are some ways to handle the tracking of employee hours/time.  Currently we have an InfoPath form that employees fill out and submit to a library.  This form has a drop down menu in it with a list of all clients the employee is or has worked with.  Each employee may have a different list in this drop down as not all work with the same clients.  These forms sit in the library till the head of HR checks them for accuracy.  All of this works fine, no major issues. Any new clients get manually added to each employees time sheet (that would be working with that client).

Recently, some employees have requested a way to see how many total hours a client has paid for in a given quarter and how many of those hours have been used currently.  They could check their own times by opening their timesheet form they submitted previously.  The problem is that there are many times when more than one employee is working on the same client and each one is billing a different amount of hours.  To add a little more complexity, sometimes clients can have hours roll over to the next quarter or can add hours to the current quarter.

I have been searching around the web and found plenty of other tools that seem like they can handle most of this, but if possible, I would like to use Microsoft products only.  I am curious how others have handled this if at all, or opinions others have on how to achieve this goal.

Quick recap:  Employees submit a time sheet every week with the hours they spent on whichever clients they helped for the week.  I would like a way to be able to keep track of total hours the client has, total hours used by employees, and hours left over to work with.

Thanks for any and all input.

Thursday, January 5, 2012 6:42 PM

Answers

• Where I'm working we're looking at pretty much the same issues.  It seems like for the most part that Microsoft is setting up the base core system (SharePoint), but isn't yet looking into individual business solutions for things like Project Management and tracking of hours within that environment.  I don't know if that's because it kind of conflicts with its MS Project software or they just haven't gotten to it yet, but they don't provide an out of the box solution for what you're describing.

Have you looked at the Project Management and Time Tracking solutions by Bamboo Solutions?  It's just what you're describing.  It's looking like we're going that direction.  I also prefer to use something by Microsoft or to develop it ourselves, but with something like that it would be too HUGE of an effort.

Good luck!

• Proposed as answer by jasonmvale Thursday, January 5, 2012 7:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Xue-Mei Chang-MSFT Thursday, February 2, 2012 5:14 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 7:26 PM

All replies

• Where I'm working we're looking at pretty much the same issues.  It seems like for the most part that Microsoft is setting up the base core system (SharePoint), but isn't yet looking into individual business solutions for things like Project Management and tracking of hours within that environment.  I don't know if that's because it kind of conflicts with its MS Project software or they just haven't gotten to it yet, but they don't provide an out of the box solution for what you're describing.

Have you looked at the Project Management and Time Tracking solutions by Bamboo Solutions?  It's just what you're describing.  It's looking like we're going that direction.  I also prefer to use something by Microsoft or to develop it ourselves, but with something like that it would be too HUGE of an effort.

Good luck!

• Proposed as answer by jasonmvale Thursday, January 5, 2012 7:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Xue-Mei Chang-MSFT Thursday, February 2, 2012 5:14 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 7:26 PM
  • I have briefly looked at the PM/Time tracking solution from Bamboo, which did sound like it would handle what I need, it just comes down to whether or not I would get the funding to purchase it!  I also think developing this sort of solution on our own would be a huge effort and very time consuming.  It may be the route that has to be taken, though I hope not!

I wonder if there is any way for MS Project and SharePoint to work together in some way to achieve this or other MS product(s).. I have been searching around for days and really have not found many answers to this issue.  I have seen some things stating TFS or Project Server can track hours.  What I have yet to read, is if either can keep track of multiple employees and show a total of hours/hours used/hours left so that anyone can see.

Thanks for the reply! The search continues!

Friday, January 6, 2012 3:09 PM