none
Can't get my windows password reset "userkey.psw" to open to reset my password. RRS feed

• Question

• I may have accidently deleted my user password while trying to change my password. I have a usb password reset but when i try and use it Windows  says , " File type unknow , windows does not recognize this file type." The only thing they recommend is to go to the web for help. I also have an Administrator account . Can i change my user account password with my Administrator account without using my password reset ? Also what good is a password reset if windows can't  open it up. Can you recommend any Microsoft or safe third party downloads to open the "psw' file? I would greatly appreciate a reply. Thank you.
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 4:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Since Microsoft will not support 3rd<sup> </sup>party products, if you want to reset your Windows password you can try the following steps below:

My computer is on a domain

1.Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts, clicking User Accounts, and then clicking Manage User Accounts.

If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.On the Users tab, under Users for this computer, click the user account name, and then click Reset Password.

3.Type the new password, confirm the new password, and then click OK.

My computer is in a workgroup

1.If you type the wrong password when you attempt to log on, Windows displays a message that the password is incorrect. Click OK to close the message.

2.Click Reset password, and then insert your password reset disk or USB flash drive.

3.Follow the steps in the Password Reset wizard to create a new password.

4.Log on with the new password. If you forget your password again, you can use the same password reset disk. You don't need to make a new one.

For more information, please refer to the link:

Reset your Windows password

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14048/windows-7-reset-your-windows-password

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 13, 2017 8:02 AM