none
Problems with Clustered Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Hope someone can help as I'm pulling my hair out here.

Basically I have a 3 Node Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V Cluster and around 40 Virtual Machines spread amongst the 3 Nodes.

I was having problems with one Server.  I evicted the Server. Wiped it and re-installed the Operating System (Windows 2012 R2) again and all of the relevant Roles Features.

When I went to DPM there was an error connecting to the newly wiped server so I manually installed the Agent via the Command Prompt from the new server.

The Agent installed OK and everything looked fine. I moved a few of the VM's to the new server via Failover Cluster Manager.

A while later all of the Servers I had moved had failed to Create Recover points.  

I searched the Net and there was talk of DCOM and Registry keys but I have no idea why it's not working.

I tried using DCOMCNFG and adding the DPM Server to the relevant sections but no joy.

Can anyone help?

Regards

Willie

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 3:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the Error Messsage will make things here much easier, so please provide that.

did you renamed the New Host, or was it the same name?

What about the Agent Status on SCDPM Console, is that OK?

Michael Seidl (MVP)

SYSCTR Senior Consultant, Blogger, CEO

Blog | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Xing | Youtube

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 5:44 AM
  • Sorry Michael.

On the DPM after the manual install of the Agent everything looks OK.  The Host is the same name. I put everything back the way it was before I wiped the server.

The error on the DPM server is.

"Description: Recovery point creation jobs for Microsoft Hyper-V \Offline\UK-ED0-PRINT-01 on UK-ED0-PRINT-01.UK-ED0-HVCLU-02.mceg.local have been failing. The number of failed recovery point creation jobs = 1.

If the data source protected has some dependent data sources (like a SharePoint Farm), then click on the Error Details to view the list of dependent data sources for which recovery point creation failed. (ID 3114)

An unexpected error occurred while the job was running. (ID 104 Details: Access is denied (0x80070005))

More information

Recommended action: Retry the operation.

Create a recovery point...

Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below

Inactivate"

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 9:04 AM
  • Basically I have 3 Servers in the Hyper V Cluster.  UK-ED0-HV-01  UK-ED0-HV-02 and UK-ED0-HV-03  and the Cluster Name is  UK-ED0-HVCLU-02

UK-ED0-HV-01 was in a bad way so I had to rebuild it. First I managed to remove it from the Cluster by Evicting it.

I rebuilt it and everything looked good from the Hyper V side and failover etc worked.

As soon as I put a Role on HV-01 though it failed to backup.  I then manually installed the DPM Agent on UK-ED0-DPM-01 and it said "OK" on the DPM Server after I rebooted UK-ED0-HV-01

The error on the DPM Server is noted above.

The error below is what is in the Event Viewer on UK-ED0-HV-01

"DCOM got error "2147942405" from the computer UK-ED0-HV-03.mceg.local when attempting to activate the server:

{DA6AA17A-D61C-4E9C-8CEA-DB25DEA52A95}"

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:04 AM
  • Hi,

try two tings

Go to Management / Agents mark each of your Cluster Hosts and click Refresh.

Go to your Protection group and edit, on the first screen mark your Clustername and click refresh on the bottom, finish the Protectiongroup editing with no changes.

Try to backup a VM on each Host

Michael Seidl (MVP)

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 5:47 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Same error.
    An unexpected error occurred while the job was running (ID 104 Details: Access is denied (0x80070005))

Friday, January 29, 2016 2:24 PM
  • Hi

then I would try to stop all Protections of this HyperV Cluster, but keep the replica.

try to create a new Protection Group, click your Cluster, make refresh again, and start over in protecting your source again

Michael Seidl (MVP)

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 5:36 AM
  • Hi,

I'm not sure if this is enough but I removed one of the VM's from my "Virtual Servers" Protection Group.
    I kept the data and created a new Protection Group "Print Servers" and after refreshing the cluster I added the server UK-ED0-PRINT-01 into the new protection group.

Same error though.

When I look in the event viewer on the newly built Hyper V Server (UK-ED0-HV-01) I see the error:

DCOM got error "2147942405" from the computer UK-ED0-HV-02.xxxx.local when attempting to activate the server:
    {DA6AA17A-D61C-4E9C-8CEA-DB25DEA52A95}

I have not got a clue why there is any reference to HV-02 as it is not involved in the operation.

Our DPM Server UK-ED0-DPM-01 is trying to backup up the Virtual Server UK-ED0-PRINT-01 who has the current owner is UK-ED0-HV-01

If I move the PRINT Server to HV-02 or HV-03 via Failover Manager and re-run the backup job it will ask to synch data and then everything will be fine.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 12:36 PM
  • Hi,

SCDPM don't know the correct "way" to your new Serverm are you sure you did a correct install and the refresh like described on top?

Michael Seidl (MVP)

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:59 AM