Desktop Toolbars / Deskbands ? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi all, anyone know how to bring back deskbands in Win7? I've tried dragging a folder to the edge of the screen to make it, but it doesn't do anything.

I relied on this feature heavily; i would have my taskbar at the top of the screen, and then have the address bar docked to the bottom of the screen and always-on-top, so i could rapidly type in and go to ANY website/folder/protocol (eg: mailto:).

I would REALLY like to get this back, but can't figure out how to turn it on in 7. I could put the address bar in the taskbar, but
    a) it looks bad on the double-height taskbar, and
    b) i still regularly have my taskbar nearly full, and can't afford the space on the taskbar

Thanks in advance!
    Monday, January 19, 2009 9:46 PM

All replies

• You can look for, or create, a Gadget to do it. Toolbars are only a feature of the taskbar in Win7.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Monday, January 19, 2009 9:57 PM
  • hmmm... that's not really the same. Cuz with toolbars, i would have the address bar on the bottom, along with several folders all set as small as possible, giving me quick drop-down (or pop-up) menus for Desktop, Control Panel, and a few other folders. 

I've never seen a gadget that could do that.  :-\ 

So anyone have any recommendations of good Address bar gadgets? Or good folder menu gadgets?

Also, can a gadget reserve space on the edge of a window, so windows don't maximize to there?? I think that's another no. Overall i'd have to say gadgets really are NOT a good replacement for deskbands.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:21 AM
  • Well, you should do as you prefer, but I hold out still that a gadget could give you the perfect 'look and feel' of those old toolbars, given someone who understood HTML and a bit of scripting. It's the reason gadgets were created, to let the user expand in any preferred direction. Good Luck.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:28 AM