Office 2016 - CMID issue with KMS activation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Recently got a Server 2008 R2 configured with the 2012 R2 datacentre key and all required software installed for win8.1/office 2016 KMS activation.

Win 8.1 is activating correctly on laptops. I am however struggling with Xendesktop Gold images/rearms.

The image in question is Windows 7 with Office 2010 and Visio 2016. As part of this, the ospprearm is ran from the c:\program files\common files\microsoftshared\officesoftwareprotectionplatform to rearm office (process always followed previously, note ospprearm does not exist in c:\program files\Microsoft office\office14).

Office 2010 activates fine, Windows activates fine. Visio 2016 will not activate and the Rearm count on server does not exceed 1. Now heres the catch. The CMID pulled when running ospp.vbs /DCMID from office16 folder is different to what is reported on KMS logs when trying to activate visio 2016. The same can be seen on multiple desktops built form these images. Each CMID pulled from commandline from office16 folder is different. But same CMID shown against all machinces in KMS logs on server when trying to activate Vision 2016.  Please also note (I found reference that this can sometimes pull the windows CMID and not office, this is not the case in this scenario as the windows CMID I also pulled and that is different again).

While there is a ospprearm in the office16 folder as well, this will not run with error:

"there was an error when trying to rearm office. You can try passing the SKU ID as a parameter. Passing the SKU ID is necessary if you are relying on an activation to permit an additional rearm. Error 0xc004fe00. On a computer running windows non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xc004fe00' to display the error text"

Passing that error through the slui just reports description as  "unable to find a detailed error description".

This does not appear to be a server side issue but a client one, not sure if there is anything funky around rearming when using both office 2010 and 2016? Any guidance is appreciated.

Monday, March 21, 2016 4:12 PM

Answers

• Ok I think ive found the answer. Testing shows this as now hitting the server with different CMID's. Was bit of work and I will need to do a proper live test following image roll out.

1.  I resolved the issue with the ospprearm in the c:\program files\Microsoft office\office16. This was done by applying the MAK code to the image and then removing it and reinserting the generic office 2016 key, you don't usually need this as its installed by default along with application install.

2. ospprearm from c:\program files\Microsoft Office\office16 - This appears to then talk into the KMS server on an activation and gives different CMID's, so count is increasing. HOWEVER, after double checking, the Office 2010 is now not giving unique  CMID's.

3. ospprearm from c:\program files\Microsoft office\office 16 and then from c:\program files\common files\Microsoft shared\officesoftwarepprotectionplatform. This is now giving unique CMID's for both Office 2010 and Office 2016 installed on same Client PC.

I will get the image pushed out and will retest to confirm full resolution. Will confirm on this post next week on this.

• Marked as answer by Ricky Taylor2 Friday, April 8, 2016 12:45 PM
    Friday, April 8, 2016 11:00 AM

All replies

• Issue is still ongoing, I have yet to find a fix for this. The error 0xc004fe00 seems to suggest software tampering? office 2010/windows is activating fine thou. I'm thinking this is more an issue have 2010 and 2016 on same client and the way each activates (is this any different between those two version)?
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:17 AM
  • Ok I think ive found the answer. Testing shows this as now hitting the server with different CMID's. Was bit of work and I will need to do a proper live test following image roll out.

1.  I resolved the issue with the ospprearm in the c:\program files\Microsoft office\office16. This was done by applying the MAK code to the image and then removing it and reinserting the generic office 2016 key, you don't usually need this as its installed by default along with application install.

2. ospprearm from c:\program files\Microsoft Office\office16 - This appears to then talk into the KMS server on an activation and gives different CMID's, so count is increasing. HOWEVER, after double checking, the Office 2010 is now not giving unique  CMID's.

3. ospprearm from c:\program files\Microsoft office\office 16 and then from c:\program files\common files\Microsoft shared\officesoftwarepprotectionplatform. This is now giving unique CMID's for both Office 2010 and Office 2016 installed on same Client PC.

I will get the image pushed out and will retest to confirm full resolution. Will confirm on this post next week on this.

• Marked as answer by Ricky Taylor2 Friday, April 8, 2016 12:45 PM
    Friday, April 8, 2016 11:00 AM
  • Checked the pushed out images, these are now all working correctly. Issue resolved, as per Marked answer post.
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 10:44 AM