none
Exchange 2007 SP3 install failed, can't get back to running config RRS feed

• Question

• I attempted to install Exchange 2007 SP3 on an SP1 (no rollups) single server (2003) install but it failed with the following 

[0] Setup will run the task 'uninstall-msipackage' [1] Setup launched task 'uninstall-msipackage -logfile 'C:\ExchangeSetupLogs\ExchangeSetup.msilog' -ProductCode '24b2c164-de66-44fe-b468-a46d9d5e6b31' -PropertyValues 'BYPASS_CONFIGURED_CHECK=1 DEFAULTLANGUAGENAME=ENU'' [1] Beginning processing. [1] Property 'PackageName' is 'EXCHANGESERVER.msi'. [1] Removing MSI package with code '24b2c164-de66-44fe-b468-a46d9d5e6b31'. [1] [ERROR] Unexpected Error [1] [ERROR] Unable to remove product with code 24b2c164-de66-44fe-b468-a46d9d5e6b31. Fatal error during installation. Error code is 1603. Last error reported by the .msi package is 'The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.'. [1] [ERROR] Fatal error during installation

I would rather just get Exchange running again and I'll tackle the SP3 update later, or maybe I won't even bother with the update.  Of course, if it is easier/better to continue with the SP3 install and you know of a fix to this, I'll do that too.

So far, I have restored C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server prior to the update, but many services still won't start, giving the general timeout error (upped to 60000ms).  Only AD Topology service and System Attendant start.  Any help would be very much appreciated!!

• Edited by 88D1T Sunday, October 4, 2015 8:47 AM
    Sunday, October 4, 2015 8:11 AM

Answers

• Recover the box.

You cannot really restore Exchange by restoring files because the domain will be expecting one version and the files will be a mixture of multiple versions.

The actual original error is either permissions based or a bad download. Not unusual with SP3 unfortunately.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.

• Marked as answer by 88D1T Monday, October 5, 2015 6:35 PM
    Sunday, October 4, 2015 12:31 PM

All replies

• Recover the box.

You cannot really restore Exchange by restoring files because the domain will be expecting one version and the files will be a mixture of multiple versions.

The actual original error is either permissions based or a bad download. Not unusual with SP3 unfortunately.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.

• Marked as answer by 88D1T Monday, October 5, 2015 6:35 PM
    Sunday, October 4, 2015 12:31 PM
  • Thanks for your response.  Disappointing news for sure.  So you are talking about the Setup.com /M:RecoverServer option as outlined here (and a couple other places):  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123496(v=exchg.80).aspx 

Sunday, October 4, 2015 12:51 PM
  • Hi,

I understand you installed exchange 2007 sp3 unsuccessfully.

According to the error message, the Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.

I have found the below link for your reference:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/925828

Also check some related event log in event viewer for further analysis .

Regards,

David 

Monday, October 5, 2015 6:51 AM
  • What a pain, but it is now working, and on a new VM so maybe it wasn't so bad.

Since the failure occurred during an upgrade when the stores were stopped, I was able to just copy the entire store (edb and logs) and mount it in the new server.  Even though I had backups, they were 24hrs old.

Somewhere deep in some eventview or logs, I recalled seeing a .Net error and think that caused the issue as any .Net update always broke a few exchange services.  Lesson learned I guess.

Monday, October 5, 2015 6:44 PM