32 bit and 64 bit versions of current products - No way to distinguish/decline/opt-out download of one of the two? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to decline (or, omit entirely) say all 32 bit versions of a specific product? How/Why not?

I'm wondering about this because I see that for instance a service pack for SQL Server 2012 is downloaded both as a 32 bit and a 64 bit package. In my WSUS server's particular environment there are no 32 bit Versions of MS SQL Server 2012. So, in effect, there's a big waste of space because of the unneeded 32 bit packages. Same goes for Windows 8.1 (and in fact, all current products.) I see no option to opt-out unneded/unwanted 32/64 bit versions of products selected and thus being able to save a lot of space.

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered before. I did not find such a thread asking the same when I performed a search in this forum.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2015 8:52 PM

Answers

• No, there isn't.

WSUS isn't designed to offer that.

You can manage the sync/download approvals, so that only the updates you need, will be downloaded from MSFT.
    But if you have enabled auto-download and auto-approve, you can't discriminate by architecture/bitness within a product.

Don

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Sunday, October 11, 2015 2:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Sunday, October 11, 2015 11:11 PM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2015 9:21 PM
  • Am 09.09.2015 schrieb Robert MacKender:

I'm wondering about this because I see that for instance a service pack for SQL Server 2012 is downloaded both as a 32 bit and a 64 bit package. In my WSUS server's particular environment there are no 32 bit Versions of MS SQL Server 2012. So, in effect, there's a big waste of space because of the unneeded 32 bit packages. Same goes for Windows 8.1 (and in fact, all current products.) I see no option to opt-out unneded/unwanted 32/64 bit versions of products selected and thus being able to save a lot of space.

You have to decline the 'wrong' packages manually.

Servus
    Winfried

Gruppenrichtlinien
    HowTos zum WSUS Package Publisher
    WSUS Package Publisher
    HowTos zum Local Update Publisher
    NNTP-Bridge für MS-Foren

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Sunday, October 11, 2015 2:14 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:55 AM

All replies

• No, there isn't.

WSUS isn't designed to offer that.

You can manage the sync/download approvals, so that only the updates you need, will be downloaded from MSFT.
    But if you have enabled auto-download and auto-approve, you can't discriminate by architecture/bitness within a product.

Don

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Sunday, October 11, 2015 2:13 PM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2015 9:21 PM
  • Am 09.09.2015 schrieb Robert MacKender:

Servus
    Winfried

Gruppenrichtlinien
    WSUS Package Publisher
    NNTP-Bridge für MS-Foren

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Sunday, October 11, 2015 2:14 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:55 AM
  • You have to decline the 'wrong' packages manually.

Is that possible?
    - In my example, "Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 2 (KB2958429" is one update, containing both the 32- and 64 bit versions of the service pack. So the only option is to decline the entire update(?)

I can retrieve the file URI by right-clicking the update, "File Information", traverse the file system and delete the unwanted (32 bit) version of the update but that doesn't seem like a viable way to do cleanouts(?) Are there any third-party tools (like PoshWSUS) that might aid in this matter?
    Friday, September 11, 2015 6:58 AM
  • Am 11.09.2015 schrieb Robert MacKender:

--

Is that possible?

`
    Normally yes, but

- In my example, "Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 2 (KB2958429" is one update, containing both the 32- and 64 bit versions of the service pack. So the only option is to decline the entire update(?)

in this case, not. Is there really one File for 32- and 64-Bit
    Servicepack?

I can retrieve the file URI by right-clicking the update, "File Information", traverse the file system and delete the unwanted (32 bit) version of the update but that doesn't seem like a viable way to do cleanouts(?) Are there any third-party tools (like PoshWSUS) that might aid in this matter?

I don't think so.

Servus
    Winfried

Gruppenrichtlinien
    WSUS Package Publisher
    NNTP-Bridge für MS-Foren

Friday, September 11, 2015 5:38 PM