none
Recommendations for DPM2012 SP1 backing up 2012 Hyperv cluster w/ CSV RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the process of migrating our HyperV cluster from Server 2008R2 to 2012.  We have an HP P2000G3 san connected via fiber channel.  As yet, HP doesn't offer any hardware providers specifically for server 2012.  I was considering trying the 2008R2 providers to see if they worked under 2012, but then I've read that hardware providers may not be necessary with Server 2012 and DPM 2012 SP1 due to some improvements in how the system vss provider handles backup of CSV. 

What are the recommendations for backing up a CSV on a HyperV cluster running Server 2012?  

Is it still optimal to use a hardware vss provider?

If not using a hardware provider, is it still necessary to serialize backups as it was with a CSV on a 2008R2 server?

Thanks!

Thursday, December 27, 2012 2:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would hold off on the server upgrade until some Windows 2012 fixes are available, see this posting: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmhypervbackup/thread/604409df-ada1-47d1-bdfb-3f938cde0b59

However, with CSV2, there is no need to move the CSV to the node running the guest before doing a backup, so serialization should no longer be necessary, and since the main benefit of using a hardware provider was to eliminate serialization, it's probably not as important going forward.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:51 PM
  • Ooh, ok. Thanks for the warning, I have moved several vm's to the new host already and was about to do the final cluster migration tonight. Guess I will put it on hold. So regarding the vss providers, the need for serialization is gone, but Is there not a performance benefit at all to using the hardware provider?
    Friday, December 28, 2012 3:08 AM