Can't Customize Start Menu RRS feed

• Question

• Having logged onto a Windows 7, x64, PC as the local Administrator, I customized the Start Menu to include links to "Control Panel" and "Devices and Printers" on the right-hand side of the Start Menu.  These links do appear when I log on again as the local Administrator or with any local user account.  However, they only appear for some domain user accounts and not for others.

How can I make these links appear on the Start Menu for all user accounts?

Thanks,
    NUCWO3

Monday, September 12, 2011 3:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• I believe your UI customizations are always user-specific.

As I recall you need to either use the SYSPREP tool, or manually copy the profile to the Default user profile to accomplish what you want...  There are a number of articles online describing how to do that (Google "set up default user in Windows 7").

Here's one of the first articles Google turned up for me using the above string (I didn't try it to see if it's all correct):

http://www.interworks.com/blogs/twalls/2010/02/23/windows-7-how-create-default-profile-template-according-your-taste

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Monday, September 12, 2011 4:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:26 AM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 4:52 PM
  • Guide to customize Start Menu for Enterprise. Using Group Policy to change for All users

Start layout Group Policy is available for Machine and Users. Use the option which is best for enterprise.

To Customize Windows 10 Start Menu.

Step 1

Open Powershell with admin right

C:> Export-StartLayout -Path C:\temp\DefaultStartmenu.xml

Change Start Menu by removing and adding Program Icon as per Organization need.

Run the Export command again

C:> Export-StartLayout -Path C:\temp\CustomizeStartmenu.xml

Copy the in custom profile to your network share for Group Policy and also push it all user's desktops.

Open Group Policy Management and Look for Start Menu Layout GP.

This is under Computer > Administrative template > Start Menu and Taskbar

Note:

To make sure the Start layout XML parser processes your file correctly, follow these guidelines when writing your LayoutModification.xml file:

• Do not leave spaces or white lines in between each element.
    • Do not add comments inside the StartLayout node or any of its children elements.
    • Do not add multiple rows of comments

Hope this will work for you. Mine is working.

Yasir Haidri
    Windows 10 / Office 365 Engineer
    MCS Microsoft UK

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 3:56 PM
  • This is also confirm that Item to Taskbar (pin and Unpin) cannot be done via scripts, group policy or any other method. These were support till Windows 8.1. No matter what you do you cannot make changes to taskbar. You cannot customize Most used item list. You can add hibernate to Power Button via Group Policy.

These customization can only be done by User, Microsoft Edge will be default browser but you can make changes to registry setting to make it default for all users. (confirmed working).

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 4:00 PM