none
MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 with co-located SQL volumes ... syntax/failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am in a need to move a lot of data from 2 large disks (ntdiskid 1 & 2) to 2 new disks (ntdiskid 3 & 4) in DPM2010.  Due to the amount of data, I need to do these one Protection Group at a time.

If it helps, I have run the LdmStats version 1.6 script floating around:
    ==============================
    LdmStats version 1.6
    ==============================
    Connecting [MYDPMSERVER\MSDPM2010]...
    Total disks          : 4
    Total volumes        : 218
    Total extents        : 231
    Total data sources   : 156
    Number of non-colocated data sources that can still be added: 191

I have been using the following command(s):

$destination = Get-DPMDisk -DPMServerName MYDPMSERVER |where {3,4 -contains $_.ntdiskid} $pg = Get-ProtectionGroup MYDPMSERVER $ds = Get-Datasource $pg[0] $ds Computer Name -------- ---- DEVSQL DEVSQL\datamanager DEVSQL DEVSQL\WSS_Content_SPTeam DEVSQL DEVSQL\WSS_Content_ContentHub DEVSQL DEVSQL\WSS_Content_Recs DEVSQL DEVSQL\WSS_Content_My DEVSQL DEVSQL\WSS_Content_Search DEVSQL DEVSQL\WSS_Content

.\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 -DPMServerName MYDPMSERVER -Source $ds -Destination $destination

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 :  The source can either be a disk or a datasource and destination can either be a DiskPool or a pair of custom volumes
    At line:1 char:35
    + .\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 <<<<  -DPMServerName IDC-DPM-02 -Source $ds -Destination $destination
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1

Usage
    Option1:
    MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 [-DPMServerName] <string> [-Source] <Disk> [-Destination] <Disk[]>
    -Migrates the replica volumes and recovery point volumes from the source disk to the set of destination disks. The destination could either be a single disk or a set of disks. DPM will not use the source disk for newer protection. Use this option whe
    n migrating disks managed by DPM.

Option2:
    MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 [-DPMServerName] <string> [-Source] <Datasource> [-Destination] <Disk[]>
    -Migrates the replica volumes and recovery point volumes of the specified data source to the set of destination disks. The destination could be either a single disk or a set of disks. Use this option to migrate data protected on a custom volume to a
    disk managed by DPM.

Option3:
    MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 [-DPMServerName] <string> [-Source] <Datasource> [-Destination] <DpmServerVolume[]>
    -Migrates the replica volume and recover point volume for the specified data source to the specified pair of replica and recovery point volumes. The first element of the volume array should be the destination replica volume and second element should
    be the recovery point volume. Use this option to migrate any DPM data source to a custom volume.

NOTE: The above Protection Group/Datasource is co-located SQL DB's so the $ds variable is a 7 element array from indexed as 0-6...

I changed the syntax slightly to specify the individual co-located volume
    .\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 -DPMServerName MYDPMSERVER -Source $ds -Destination $destination
    To:
    .\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 -DPMServerName MYDPMSERVER -Source $ds[0] -Destination $destination

This completed fine, so off to the next volume:
    .\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 -DPMServerName MYDPMSERVER -Source $ds[1] -Destination $destination
    This failed indicating the Datasource wasn't in sync... I checked the running jobs and the post move wasn't complete... DOH!

I waited till all the jobs were done, and ran the command again. This time it complained that I had already moved 'DEVSQL\datamanager' (or something along those lines). Sorry, but my powershell window buffer is long gone.

Can someone shed some light on this? Was the first command successful and moved the entire Protection Group?

Thanks,

Jason

Monday, June 17, 2013 10:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, that is correct, if you move one member of a co-located datasource it moves all members on the same replica.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 21, 2013 12:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, that is correct, if you move one member of a co-located datasource it moves all members on the same replica.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 21, 2013 12:33 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Is there a way to verify this without waiting for the old Protection Group volumes to expire and disappear?

Thanks,
    Jason

Friday, June 21, 2013 1:58 AM
  • Hi,

If you click on the destination disk under DPM management / Disks, it will list the data sources that reside on that disk.  The migrated data sources should be listed.

Friday, June 21, 2013 3:12 AM
  • Thanks Mike!  I have been using DPM for a number of years and didn't realize that that was there :)

I do see the 7 co-located DB's listed there, so all should be good.

Jason

Friday, June 21, 2013 1:56 PM
  • I have moved all my protection Groups and the troublesome co-located data to the new disks... took a while but its done without downtime. There was over 200 volumes on these 2 disks.

I have removed the old disk from DPM, but not the server as I had to wait for all the retention jobs to expire and clean up the old volumes.

I now have two 10TB iSCSI disks I would like to remove, but one disk still has a 20GB RAW Simple volume on it!!! Is there any way to see what is still referencing this disk?

I can't mount it because its RAW, and it doesn't have any DPM related label (like DPM-vol_184f8900-3cb4-475a-...)

Here is a picture, I want to remove Disk 3 and Disk 4:

Any ideas?

Jason

Monday, October 7, 2013 10:20 PM