none
Windows Media Player Digital Server not showing all media

Question

• I am using WMP 12, on Windows 7, as a media server for an external disk (WD Passport Ultra) plugged into and configured by my router (ZyXel VMG8924) via its USB slot. It works quite happily for video files up to two hierarchical levels below my Videos folder, i.e. they are arranged in year number folders and some of those folders have sub-folders, none of whose contents appear to be indexed by WMP Digital Server, but all videos at the two higher hierarchical levels are. I have tried both the 'apply media information changes' option from the Organize menu option, and the 'make all of the media in my library available to my device' from the media streaming options customization but neither had any effect in showing up my missing videos (which by the way are mainly mpg's). The router also allows configuration of an ftp server for the Videos folder and this is able to retrieve every single file in it so I know they are accessible by this route. Any ideas?

Monday, May 28, 2018 3:53 PM

All replies

• The DLNA server creates a database in the root directory of the shared folder.

It creates a folder named: “twonkymedia.db” inside there should be a file named “twonkymedia.main.db”

Just delete the “twonkymedia.db” folder. this forces the server to re-scan all containing files…

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 12:30 AM
  • Hi,

In addition, you can also refer to the following article and check if it can help you.

How to turn your Windows 10 computer into a DLNA streaming server

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-windows-10-computer-dlna-streaming-server

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 4:57 AM
  • Thanks for your reply but, sorry, that doesn't help. I'm not using TwonkyMedia; I'm just running standard Windows Media Player version 12 as a media server which it's capable of and creates a Digital Media Server "library" which has most of my videos but is not showing the lower hierarchical ones for some unknown reason.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 7:48 PM
  • Thanks for replying. I am running Windows Media Player under Windows 7 but the same info that is in your Windows 10 link had already been applied to make it a DLNA server and which has been actioned as such. Despite that it does not help me know why only the top two hierarchical folder levels are being indexed and that it has ignored the third level ones completely.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 7:54 PM