none
Change of Exchange 2013 DAG File Share Witness not changed on cluster quorum configuration of Windows

Question

• Hey guys,

I have a strange issue here.

I need to change my Exchange File Share Witness server to a new one.

So I used the following command:

Set-DatabaseAvailabilitygroup -Identity dagcluster -WitnessDirectory c:\newFSWdirecotory -WitnessServer newfsw.domain.com

I set all permissions and all and the operation went fine. Afterwards I checked the configuration change by executing the:

Get-DatabaseAvailabilitygroup |fl 

This showed now the new FSW Server and Directory and I also checked that the files on that directory were successfully created.

However,  when running:  Get-ClusterQuorum it is still showing the old DAG Server!

Also when opening the Failover Cluster Manager, on the Cluster Core Resources sections under File Share Witness I see both servers listed there! The old FSW and the new FSW!

Can someone please explain why this happened and how to fix this? I'm planning on running the Configure Cluster Quorum Settings... on the Failover Cluster Manager to point it to the new FSW, but I'm afraid that this can somehow screw up the DAG.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Regards,

Eduardo.

Eduardo Rojas

Friday, July 6, 2018 6:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

thanks for your reply, sorry for the late answer, didn't get the notifications.

The issue is apparently only a display thing, so after manually changing the display name on the Failover Cluster Manager console, everything was fine. The powershell also was updated with that.

There were no issues whatsoever with the cluster itself, it is just some bug apparently.

Thanks again for the replies.

Regards,

Eduardo

Eduardo Rojas

Friday, July 13, 2018 12:00 PM

All replies

• Hi

Just to confirm, you mentioned permissions set, is that on the share itself?

The change should be "quick", I recently updated mine to other servers and i could see the changes. Is replication going through without issue?

Any errors in your event logs?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, July 6, 2018 11:19 AM
  • Hi Eduardo RojasM,

Any update now, whether it changes successfully now?

From this article, if the new server meets those requirements below:  

1. The witness server can't be a member of the DAG.

2. The witness server must be in the same Active Directory forest as the DAG.

3. The witness server must be running Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003 R2, or Windows Server 2003.

4. A single server can serve as a witness for multiple DAGs; however, each DAG requires its own witness directory.

We just need to use Set-DatabaseAvailabilitygroup to change FSW from one server to another.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, July 9, 2018 8:18 AM
  • Hi,

thanks for your reply, sorry for the late answer, didn't get the notifications.

The issue is apparently only a display thing, so after manually changing the display name on the Failover Cluster Manager console, everything was fine. The powershell also was updated with that.

There were no issues whatsoever with the cluster itself, it is just some bug apparently.

Thanks again for the replies.

Regards,

Eduardo

Eduardo Rojas

Friday, July 13, 2018 12:00 PM