none
failed to start new VM with existing vhdx: failed to change state

Question

• Dear Hyper-v gurus

I am trying to start up a new virtual machine created with an existing virtual hard drive.

When i try to power it on , it gives me the following message:

An error occured while attempting to start the selected virtual machine(s):
    *********** failed to change state.

I checked the logs and i have the following error logs:

The description for Event ID 12140 from source Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-EmulatedStor cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

AX2012 RDS DEV

735ABDE2-3815-484A-BB73-2683A2F2BE9A

F:\Hyper-V Disks\AX2012 RDS DEV\HV_AX2012.vhdx

%%2147943065

The locale specific resource for the desired message is not present

The description for Event ID 12140 from source Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-EmulatedStor cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

AX2012 RDS DEV

F:\Hyper-V Disks\AX2012 RDS DEV\HV_AX2012.vhdx

%%2147943065

IDE/ATAPI

The description for Event ID 12010 from source Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-Worker cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

AX2012 RDS DEV

Microsoft Emulated IDE Controller

%%2147943065

0x80070299

83F8638B-8DCA-4152-9EDA-2CA8B33039B4

'AX2012 RDS DEV' failed to start. (Virtual machine ID 735ABDE2-3815-484A-BB73-2683A2F2BE9A)

Any help would be appreciated :)

EDIT:

The OS on the virtual machine host is windows 10:
    The virtual machine's OS is windows server 2012 R2

Friday, April 28, 2017 12:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Jeffery,

This look like some problem in your VM configuration rather than in VHDX file. Check following things:

1. Please check the virtual switch and make sure it exist. I encountered this errors several times in my environment like when my virtual switch was removed a VM NIC was using. 
    2. Check the path of your VHDX file and make sure you provided the correct path to VM.  
    3. Make sure the drive where VHDX is placed is not full and you have the rights  to make changes on it

I hope this will help you,

Karim

Saturday, April 29, 2017 12:02 PM

All replies

• I am trying to start up a new virtual machine created with an existing virtual hard drive.

What is meant, are you trying to overwrite an existing VHD with a new configuration? May be easier to delete old one first.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 28, 2017 1:23 PM
  • I received a VM from a colleague; with data stored on it , which i need.
    i am not overwriting an existing VHD, i am adding a new Virtual machine and coupling the hard disk to it.
    Friday, April 28, 2017 1:50 PM
  • Then it sounds like you're trying to import a data disk? If so this one might help.

http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/hyper-v-attach-existing-virtual-disk/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 28, 2017 1:55 PM
  • I will use this VM to further develop the Dynamics AX project.
    So the operating system should also be included in the disk.
    The link is a good explanation on how to add the disks but unfortunately it did not help my problem.
    It keeps throwing the error : 'Virtual machine' failed to change state .

My first thought was : 
    What if my colleague put this VM in saved state and it's looking for the files? 
    The delete saved state files button is not present, and since i created a new machine; a new GUID folder is created..

EDIT:

I guess i misread your first reply... :
    I am trying to overwrite the VHDX with a new Hyper-V configuration on my own computer so i can access the same environment my colleague has. The only thing i have is the VHDX. So i can't delete the "old " configuration
    Friday, April 28, 2017 2:15 PM
  • If the VHD is an operating system then I'd just import it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/deploy/export-and-import-virtual-machines

Friday, April 28, 2017 2:27 PM
  • I tried this first, imported it but it throws the same error.. and in the logs there's no extra info.

There are extra information logs that probably don't have anything to do with it but i'll post it just for extra info:

'VM_Name' Network Adapter (43b5a37e-9260-49ac-bd02-e903b10482d5--f2a0680e-f03d-47ab-a689-7bdce27b32e6) Connected to virtual network. (Virtual Machine ID 43B5A37E-9260-49AC-BD02-E903B10482D5)

'VM_Name' Network Adapter (F2A0680E-F03D-47AB-A689-7BDCE27B32E6) started successfully. (Virtual Machine ID 43B5A37E-9260-49AC-BD02-E903B10482D5)

'VM_Name' Network Adapter (43b5a37e-9260-49ac-bd02-e903b10482d5--f2a0680e-f03d-47ab-a689-7bdce27b32e6) Disconnected from virtual network. (Virtual Machine ID 43B5A37E-9260-49AC-BD02-E903B10482D5)

Friday, April 28, 2017 2:44 PM
  • Was the import successful? If so I'd delete / recreate the network adapter.

Friday, April 28, 2017 2:47 PM
  • The import was succesful, i tried deleting and recreating that network adapter but there was no effect.

I also looked into this question and tried their solutions :
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/624fffc5-6c20-446a-8159-2520c31c6d1f/vm-failed-to-start-with-event-id-12140-12010-12030?forum=winserverhyperv
    Friday, April 28, 2017 3:11 PM
  • I'd probably ask the provider for another export. Might also ask what hypervisor they're using.

Friday, April 28, 2017 3:16 PM
  • Okay thank you for your help,
    I will keep you updated on this

Kind regards
    Friday, April 28, 2017 3:19 PM
  • Hi Sir,

A new VM was created and then attach that VHDX ? When you start it the error arose ?

Have you restarted the hyper-v host ?

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, April 29, 2017 11:58 AM
  • Hi Jeffery,

This look like some problem in your VM configuration rather than in VHDX file. Check following things:

1. Please check the virtual switch and make sure it exist. I encountered this errors several times in my environment like when my virtual switch was removed a VM NIC was using. 
    2. Check the path of your VHDX file and make sure you provided the correct path to VM.  
    3. Make sure the drive where VHDX is placed is not full and you have the rights  to make changes on it

I hope this will help you,

Karim

Saturday, April 29, 2017 12:02 PM
  • Hello Karim,
    Thank you very much

First of all i created a new virtual adapter.
    I chose for an External one , but I wasn't able to add it to my Wireless adapter. I then looked in my adapter settings and had to disable the shared option on my Wi-Fi adapter in order to add the external virtual switch.
    I then double checked and it was created, restarted everything but still had the same error.

Then i noticed my VHDX was located on an external SSD which was in exFAT format. Even though it had full control access for the users. When i formatted the SSD this option was selected by standard and I didn't select NTFS(silly me :-) ).
    The problem was situated in my read/write permissions, i had to change the format type of the SSD to NTFS in order to use the security/permissions because this doesn't work with exFAT.

Explanation:

"NTFS is packed with modern features not available to FAT32 and exFAT. NTFS supports file permissions for security, a change journal that can help quickly recover errors if your computer crashes, shadow copies for backups, encryption, disk quota limits, hard links, and various other features. Many of these are crucial for an operating system drive—especially file permissions."

"exFAT is optimized for flash drives—designed to be a lightweight file system like FAT32, but without the extra features and over head of NTFS and without the limitations of FAT32."
    "NTFS is ideal for internal drives, while exFAT is generally ideal for flash drives"

EDIT:

Appearantly, EXFAT can be readonly:
    - by default - even though you can write to it by files, doesn't mean the hyper-v will be able to access it )
    -can also change its state to readonly after writes and then you have to check the disk:

(delete spaces for link)
    http: // roblomtech.blogspot. be/2010/ 08/ how-to-fix-exfat-drive-being-write . html

Thank you all !

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 2:43 PM
  • @Eltion_Ji

The error arose everytime you tried to start it and it just reached 10%.
    Answer to the problem is marked.
    Tuesday, May 02, 2017 2:45 PM
  • Hi Jeffrey,

Troubleshooting is the only option left. I would suggest,

Create new dynamic VHDX (that would be in few MBs) in your local drive not on external. Attach this VHDX to the old VM you are having trouble with. Also check external drive is not write-protected (some are by-default).

Then check virtual switch

and finally check memory (virtual memory). Does VM has enough memory to start?

Thank you,

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 3:21 PM
  • Hi Karim,

I already marked your previous reply as answer,
    Scroll up and you will see the answer to my problem. It was due to the external disk format.

EDIT:

Appearantly, EXFAT can be readonly:
    - by default - even though you can write to it by files, doesn't mean the hyper-v will be able to access it )
    -can also change its state to readonly after writes and then you have to check the disk:

(delete spaces for link)
    http: // roblomtech.blogspot. be/2010/ 08/ how-to-fix-exfat-drive-being-write . html

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 8:15 AM
  • Hi Jeffrey,

My bad, I couldn't understand.

BTW, I am glad your problem is resolved :)

Thank you,

Karim

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 8:27 AM