Stuck in Automatic Program repair loop RRS feed

• Question

• Booted up my Windows 8 desktop it went into the Automatic program  repair loop. I finally got it to boot up from the back-up drive - however every time I restart it goes back to the loop. Tried running CMD like suggested in other posts.. it says I am denied access. How do I fix the loop problem?
    • Edited by pblank Friday, April 18, 2014 9:07 PM
    Friday, April 18, 2014 9:06 PM

Answers

• From what you have described, it would appear that you are entering the commands incorrectly or that some of the core files of the operating system are corrupt. Be sure you are entering the commands as detailed here by Microsoft Support. By default, the boot files is stored on the active partition of the system, usually the system partition, not C. The command BootRec /RebuildBCD will automatically apply to the active BCD and is the key command out of the set to get to run.

You can also run it from a USB Recovery Drive, which in your case sounds like it might be a good idea to ensure that the commands run from a verified source rather than a potentially corrupt set of system files.

If you are able to repair your boot process, you may want to follow up with the command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth to instruct the system to check the system files for corruption or errors and to replace corrupted files.

Brandon
    Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
    The Springboard Series on TechNet

• Marked as answer by kelvin_hsu Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:45 AM
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:34 PM

All replies

•  Tried running CMD like suggested in other posts.. it says I am denied access.

Hi,

According to your description,it seems that the boot loader corrupted.

Please let us know What command you used.

Did you try to access safe mode by pressing Shift+F8?

If no, please try this method to access the safe mode.

After that,please perform the following steps to repair your system.

1.Press Win+X,select Command Prompt (admin), and run the command.

2.Here run this command to repair corrupted/missing files:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

BootRec.exe /FixBoot

If the issue persists,try running the command below to rebulid the BCD store:

BootRec.exe /FixBoot

attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s

del c:\boot\bcd

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Keep post.

Regards,

Kelvin Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 21, 2014 5:53 AM
  •  Not sure if my computer went into but it did not load the desktop. I tried the commands you gave me but it didn't work. For bootrec.exe/Fixboot and bootrec.exe /fixmbr- it said not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch. On the attrib c:/boot/bcd -h -r -s - received path not found -c:\boot . Couldn't delete c;\boot as it could not find the file. And bootrec /rebuildbcd it didn't recognize the command. Please advise next step?

Thanks!

Monday, April 21, 2014 5:58 PM
  • As I mentioned in my last post. I was able to boot into safe mode. I did the steps you said but it did not work. It said there is no boot on C. Please advise next steps.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:18 PM
  • From what you have described, it would appear that you are entering the commands incorrectly or that some of the core files of the operating system are corrupt. Be sure you are entering the commands as detailed here by Microsoft Support. By default, the boot files is stored on the active partition of the system, usually the system partition, not C. The command BootRec /RebuildBCD will automatically apply to the active BCD and is the key command out of the set to get to run.

You can also run it from a USB Recovery Drive, which in your case sounds like it might be a good idea to ensure that the commands run from a verified source rather than a potentially corrupt set of system files.

If you are able to repair your boot process, you may want to follow up with the command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth to instruct the system to check the system files for corruption or errors and to replace corrupted files.

Brandon
    Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
    The Springboard Series on TechNet

• Marked as answer by kelvin_hsu Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:45 AM
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:34 PM