Is there a way to see when a Windows computer is scheduled to install updates and restart? RRS feed

• Question

• We use WSUS to update our Windows computers. We configure Windows 10 to install any approved updates at 2:00 AM.  We configure Windows to automatically restart to complete the update install as long as nobody is logged into Windows at that time.  If someone is logged in at 2:00 AM, then Windows will NOT restart and instead rely on the user to restart at a time of their choosing.  If the user doesnt restart in seven days, Windows will auto-restart regardless of whether the user is logged in or not.

When i am reviewing WSUS to see which computers are not fully updated, i would like to be able to tell when Windows plans to restart the OS to complete updates.  Is that possible?  Is there a way to see when Windows is intending to restart to finish updates?  and can i do that without having to actually sign on to the Windows computer? Can i check it remotely from the event viewer or registry?  is there a setting/event log/WMI call that shows "Windows will restart on <date> and <time> to complete updates"?

Monday, June 15, 2020 4:54 PM

All replies

• Hi jrauman,

Thanks for your time. 

When i am reviewing WSUS to see which computers are not fully updated, i would like to be able to tell when Windows plans to restart the OS to complete updates.  Is that possible?

In my experience, the relevant features you mentioned may be difficult to implement for the WSUS.

For client restarts, the following links may be helpful.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.management/restart-computer?view=powershell-7

By the way, for the Group Policy you apply, does the client implement the functionality you want? I checked for the relevant group policy you mentioned. My understanding is that you apply the following group policies to the client. Is that right? 

Configure Automatic Updates - 4 Auto download and schedule the install  at 2 AM
    No auto-restart with logged on users for schedules automatic updates installations
    Specify deadline before auto-restart for updates installation -7 days

If you have any updates, please let me know.

Regards,
    Rita  

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 16, 2020 3:33 AM
  • Hi jrauman,

It seems there is no update for a couple of days. May we know the current status of the problem? Is there any other assistance we can provide?

If you have any questions, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 19, 2020 10:46 AM
  • Computers arent restarting when i expect them to so i was wondering when they were planning to restart.  Is there no way to know what the future restart date/time is?
    Wednesday, June 24, 2020 3:13 AM
  • I agree this is an issue.  There is no way to type a powershell or CMD prompt command to find out when a PC or server will reboot if it is pending updates.  Even beyond that, there is no clean way to "ask" Windows if it is "pending a reboot" without running elaborate scripting.

Wednesday, June 24, 2020 3:26 AM
  • Hi jrauman,

Thanks for your response.

Please forgive my talent for shallowness. In my opinion, there are really no scripts or commands that can be implemented to check the client restart time. For client update installation ,but the scheduled restart does not trigger, please refer to UpdateSessionOrchestra.etl log. 
    Log location: C:\ProgramData\USOShared\Logs

Regards,
    Rita

Thursday, June 25, 2020 9:57 AM