Cannot disable sort by name RRS feed

• Question

• I like sorting the start menu myself but Vista keeps re-sorting it alphabetically when I reboot. I've already unchecked "Sort All Programs By Name" but that didn't have any effect.

I use the default start menu.

Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 11:41 PM

All replies

•  

I have the same problem, and more. Order keep losing, and folders keep sinking below file links. I am not using the "classic" start menu. Yes, I have cleared "Sort All Programs menu by name" long ago.

My extra problem is with dragging/dropping. Drag startup to, say, just below accessories, wow! I end up with with "startup" entries. I have witnessed two different scenarios:

• one startup is empty, the other contains all entries
    • both startup contain all entries (this is rare, but it happens today).

It happens with all folders in the start menu, not just startup. Other explorer windows do not have this behaviour.

It seems (I am not certain) that this only happens with one folder at a time. After each reboot, the first dragged folder is duplicated. After I "created" an extra entry like this, dragging other folders behaves normally. At next boot, everything is resorted and the extra entry disappears.

I have tried to disable all startup items, MS and non MS services. The behaviour doesn't change.

Another problem, which may or may not be related, is that my IE favorites also keep losing the order I maintained. Refer to the thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2579710&SiteID=17&mode=1

There are some difference:

• I have never seen duplicated entries in the favorites menu, only with the start menu
    • The start menu nearly always produce the two problems after reboot (lose sort order and drag duplicated), something like 80% of the time. The favorites menu loses order when it wants to. I don't have sufficient detailed log to track when it happens. It doesn't require a reboot (I have witnessed it after standby, switch user or lock workstation), but it seems it usually needs more elapsed time (if I wake up Vista right after standby, or do a reboot, it is very likely to lose the favorites order; if lock the workstation for 4 hours, it is more likely).

Any people have seen similar things?

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:44 AM
  • I lost both orders this morning.

The IE favorites order is lost during the week end. Process monitor doesn't show anything.

The start menu order is lost when I upgrade spybot S&D. It fits what I remembers. Most of the time a program updates the start menu, it will destroy my start menu order. I am not sure if it happens 100% of the time, but seems more often than not. Process Monitor shows explorer updates the registry entry. One single event.

Monday, February 11, 2008 3:44 AM
  • Both my start menu and my favorites are resorted after I applied the Microsoft Update. Seems every time I install something, the sorting order is lost.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 2:26 AM
  •  

I have the same problem with "All Programs" menu not remembering the sort order. There is a bug in the current version of Explorer.exe or one of it's DLL's. I monitored my real time registry activity with SysInternals "Process Monitor" while sorting "All Programs" and found it was writing the new sort order to the [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites]Order key. THIS IS THE SAME KEY FOR THE ROOT DIRECTORY SORT ORDER OF THE "Favorites" MENU. So when you try to sort "All Programs" it overwrites the "Favorites" sort data. It also reads/writes to this key ONLY the sort order of the current directory of the "All Programs" menu you happen to be sorting. I think the only thing keeping the sort order temporarily in "All Programs" is one of the Shell "Most Recently Used" Bag keys, which re-sorts any time the Pograms folder is addressed with any kind of view/data change.
    Until Microsoft admits there is a problem with this and fixes it, the best I can do is preserve my "Favorites" menu sort order by turning off the "drag and drop" feature in the "Customize Start Menu" property page.

Friday, June 27, 2008 4:54 PM