Is there a GPO or Powershell way to disable the option to "invite more people" to a conversation on RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

For anyone out there, thanks for taking the time to help me out:

I got a client who has a few co-workers who simply spend too much time talking in group on the Lync Chat, i got a request from management to find out if it is possible to disable the "Invite More People" option on the Lync Client so these guys do not create "internal" chat channels to each other.

I tought this would be a conferencing option but i cannot find anything related to that button on this web page: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398300(v=ocs.15).aspx

This is the reason i have now posted here, either i am asking the wrong question in "Google" or the option does not exist.

Thanks

Rui

Thursday, July 23, 2015 11:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Rui,

You may create a special conferencing policy and then assign to these users.

New-CsConferencingPolicy -Identity LimitMeetingSize –MaxMeetingSize 2

Grant-CsConferencingPolicy –identity “User_1” –PolicyName “LimitMeetingSize”

This will only allow one participant to join the meeting which created by a user affected by this policy. (Only allow P2P communication)

Note: However, the user can take part in other conferences where additional participants are allowed.

Best regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Eric_YangK Friday, July 24, 2015 9:56 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Mark ValeMVP Friday, July 24, 2015 3:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eric_YangK Thursday, August 6, 2015 6:39 AM
    Friday, July 24, 2015 9:55 AM

All replies

• When you deploy Microsoft Lync Server 2010 Front End Server, you can choose whether to also deploy the web conferencing, A/V conferencing, and dial-in conferencing capabilities. IM conferencing capabilities are always automatically deployed along with IM conversation capabilities on Lync Server 2010 Front End Servers. And you can disable conferencing for your Front End pool in Topology Builder.

Ref: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/e20b63c1-df90-4fdf-8a1a-4e98da1d138d/can-you-install-lync-without-the-conferencing-option?forum=ocsconferencing

( Same rule applies for Lync 2013)

Tek-Nerd

Thursday, July 23, 2015 12:55 PM
  • Tek

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately i would not be able to uninstall the conferencing option wich is used by all, i just want to block the option to "invite more people" to specific users.

Removing the conferencing option fully to all will not work.

Regards

Rui

Thursday, July 23, 2015 1:03 PM
  • Hi

There is not native feature that will disable this for you. The nature of conferences mean that you can add more people and is a fundamental concept in Lync. That said, the whole Lync stack is based on UCWA and UCMA APIs so you could write your own client. I know this is not a feasible suggestion, but its the only way I fear.

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 2:55 PM
  • Hi Rui,

You may create a special conferencing policy and then assign to these users.

New-CsConferencingPolicy -Identity LimitMeetingSize –MaxMeetingSize 2

Grant-CsConferencingPolicy –identity “User_1” –PolicyName “LimitMeetingSize”

This will only allow one participant to join the meeting which created by a user affected by this policy. (Only allow P2P communication)

Note: However, the user can take part in other conferences where additional participants are allowed.

Best regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Eric_YangK Friday, July 24, 2015 9:56 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Mark ValeMVP Friday, July 24, 2015 3:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eric_YangK Thursday, August 6, 2015 6:39 AM
    Friday, July 24, 2015 9:55 AM
  • Great idea Eric, never thought of that.

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Friday, July 24, 2015 3:00 PM