SMS 2003 to SCCM 2012 Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys

I am planning a big change with my company's current sms environment.  We currently use sms 2003 and i am tasked to upgrade this medieval setup.

I am planning the current upgrade path: SMS 2003 - SCCM 2007 (In-place upgrade) - SCCM 2012 (Side-by-side Migration). 

My only concern is that i feel there will be a lot of issues with the sms 2003 server and would prefer not to carry those with me to the sccm 2007.  The main aim is that we keep our packages with the same ID's so that packages will no re-deploy to the clients and cause a lot of bother for me.  So what i thought was this:

SMS 2003 - SMS 2003 (New build) - SCCM 2007 (In-place upgrade) - SCCM 2012 (Side-by-Side Migration)

This way the upgrade would be clean and cause no issues.  I am aware it would be a hell of a lot more work but this is why i am posting this question.

Is this method worthwhile?  Are there good migration tools to migrate all that i need fromt he original 2003 to the new 2003?

Advice would be fantastic.  Currently the sms 2003 server has been p2v'd as the physical server was on its last legs but i must get this going forward asap.

Thanks for all your help

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:43 PM

Answers

• That's hard to tell here in the forums. How have you planned that step: SMS 2003 - SMS 2003 (New build)?
    It all depends on your environment. It might also be easier to "migrate" from SMS 2003 to CM12 manually (=recreating all packages / objects / collections etc)

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Marked as answer by LeeKennedy Friday, October 12, 2012 9:20 AM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:39 PM

All replies

• That's hard to tell here in the forums. How have you planned that step: SMS 2003 - SMS 2003 (New build)?
    It all depends on your environment. It might also be easier to "migrate" from SMS 2003 to CM12 manually (=recreating all packages / objects / collections etc)

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Marked as answer by LeeKennedy Friday, October 12, 2012 9:20 AM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:39 PM
  • I too have a similar problem. My Old SMS is on a hardware that can't even withstand a restart. So I am planning to use new hardware and do a Side-by-side and again do a side-by-side to 2012. have you succeeded in doing an inplace ?

Please do let me know.

Murali Krishna V.S

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Hi Murali

I found the best solution was to in a way start from scratch.  Build a new SCCM 2012 server and create all the applications.  It means everything is nice and tidy and can be organised nicely.  Along with the application creation, it has a detection method for each app which allows the created apps to detect whether they are already installed or not.  Works like a charm :)

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 1:32 PM
  • So it doesn't repush the app's which are already there in the machines ? . Isin't that more work redoing all the packages and other stuff ? Just curious.

Murali Krishna V.S

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:57 PM
  • No it doesnt repush the applications.

Its more work yes if you have a large amount of packages to be migrated. If your system is in decent nick and can successfully upgrade to 2007 then go for it.  I had a big issue when trying to upgrade to 2007 so had no choice but to go the solo 2012 route.  If the migration had worked it would have been faster yes.  Ensure all the pre-requisites are covered and you have all the back-up fail-safes in place.  Then go for it.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:13 PM