none
Problem with FIM 2010 R2 SP1 Portal upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, folks.

I've ran into problem updating FIM 2010 R2 installation to KB2814853.

Sync engine was updated without any problems, but when I ran Service and Portal update, the following error appeared:

Portal installation failure

Same error in event viewer:

event 1603

Digging further to msi logs, i've found only 1603 error which looks suspicious:

----msi log abstract----

MSI (s) (0C!A4) [12:03:40:553]: Creating MSIHANDLE (318) of type 790531 for thread 4260
    Calling custom action Microsoft.IdentityManagement.SharePointCustomActions!Microsoft.IdentityManagement.ManagedCustomActions.SharepointCustomActions.VerifyClaimsAuthenticationOff
    MSI (s) (0C!A4) [12:03:40:566]: Closing MSIHANDLE (318) of type 790531 for thread 4260
    MSI (s) (0C!A4) [12:03:40:805]: Creating MSIHANDLE (319) of type 790531 for thread 4260
    Property name = 'SHAREPOINT_URL', value = 'http://localhost'.
    MSI (s) (0C!A4) [12:03:40:805]: Closing MSIHANDLE (319) of type 790531 for thread 4260
    MSI (s) (0C!A4) [12:03:41:679]: Creating MSIHANDLE (320) of type 790531 for thread 4260
    Exception thrown by custom action:
    MSI (s) (0C!A4) [12:03:41:680]: Closing MSIHANDLE (320) of type 790531 for thread 4260
    MSI (s) (0C!A4) [12:03:41:914]: Creating MSIHANDLE (321) of type 790531 for thread 4260
    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The Web application at http://localhost could not be found. Verify that you have typed the URL correctly. If the URL should be serving existing content, the system administrator may need to add a new request URL mapping to the intended application.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite..ctor(SPFarm farm, Uri requestUri, Boolean contextSite, SPUserToken userToken)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite..ctor(String requestUrl)
       at Microsoft.IdentityManagement.ManagedCustomActions.SharepointCustomActions.VerifyClaimsAuthenticationOff(Session session)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.CustomActionProxy.InvokeCustomAction(Int32 sessionHandle, String entryPoint, IntPtr remotingDelegatePtr)
    MSI (s) (0C!A4) [12:03:41:914]: Closing MSIHANDLE (321) of type 790531 for thread 4260
    CustomAction VerifySharePoint2010ClaimsAuthenticationOff returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
    MSI (s) (0C:6C) [12:03:43:467]: Closing MSIHANDLE (315) of type 790542 for thread 4804
    Action ended 12:03:43: VerifySharePoint2010ClaimsAuthenticationOff. Return value 3.

----msi log abstract end----

I've checked "Sharepoint - 80" web application settings, it's up and running and accessible via http://localhost.  (previously it was set to require ssl, i've turned it off, the same error persist).

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 8:34 AM

Answers

• One common cause of this is changing the Sharepoint Alternate Access Mappings after installation.

Take a look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Forefront Identity Manager\2010\Portal\BaseSiteCollectionURL -- is it still accurate?

Steve Kradel, Zetetic LLC SMS OTP for FIM | Salesforce MA for FIM

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 6:07 PM
  • Steve, thanks alot for pointing me into correct direction. Though registry entry was pointing to http://localhost, there was a problem in IIS configuration with web application and bindings. I've found some misconfigured SSPR entries which seem to mess things up. Also, bunch of incorrect certificates and bindings.

Final solution was clean up current Service and Portal installation (removed password reset portal and reporting entries, they were not used on this setup anyway), disable SSL for a while and then reinstall rollup update.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:11 AM

All replies

• One common cause of this is changing the Sharepoint Alternate Access Mappings after installation.

Take a look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Forefront Identity Manager\2010\Portal\BaseSiteCollectionURL -- is it still accurate?

Steve Kradel, Zetetic LLC SMS OTP for FIM | Salesforce MA for FIM

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 6:07 PM
  • Steve, thanks alot for pointing me into correct direction. Though registry entry was pointing to http://localhost, there was a problem in IIS configuration with web application and bindings. I've found some misconfigured SSPR entries which seem to mess things up. Also, bunch of incorrect certificates and bindings.

Final solution was clean up current Service and Portal installation (removed password reset portal and reporting entries, they were not used on this setup anyway), disable SSL for a while and then reinstall rollup update.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:11 AM
  • Thanks Steve!  I was banging my head on the desk for 2 trying to figure this out!
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:23 PM