none
Make MS Project calculate end day automatically RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In the meanwhile I got my colums imported.  So all information needed was imported from Excel to Project.

There is one column in Excel called '%work/day'.  This is when for example a resource is working 25% of his time on that task.  What i want do to is let ms project calculate the end date of completion based on following data:

Taskname (e.g. read)
    Resource (e.g. Christophe)
    Estimated workload (e.g. 16 hours)
    %work/day (e.g. 25%)
    Begin Date (e.g.11/10/2013)
    End Date (need to be calculated by Ms Project)

In this case MS Project should return 16/10/2013. 
    Task duration: 16h *25%/day = 4h/day starting at 11/10/2013, (12/10/2013 & 13/10/2013 = weekend)

so: 4hours on 11/10, 4hours on 14/10, 4hours on 15/10 and 4hours on 16/10.

Can someone help me with this?

thanks,

Christophe

Friday, October 11, 2013 11:26 AM

All replies

• Christophe --

First of all, Microsoft Project will automatically calculate the Finish date of every task.  This is the default behavior of the software, assuming that you have Auto Calculate enabled.  To check this, click File > Options > Schedule.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page and look in the Calculation section of the page.  Make sure that the Calculate Project After Each Edit option is set to Yes and then click the OK button.

Second, in your example, you have several mistakes.  The %work/day column should map to the Units column for resource assignments.  Using your example, a resource working 25% per day will only work 2 hours per day and not 4 hours per day.  Based on the resource working 16 hours, Microsoft Project will calculate a Duration value of 8 day and will calculate a Finish date of November 20, 2013.

So, the software will do what you want automatically, provided that you map the data correctly between Microsoft Excel and Microsoft project, and provided you have Auto Calculation enabled.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, October 11, 2013 12:53 PM