Huge Libraries Mistake I'm Afraid??? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 ~

Trying to combine and clear files I made a new folder entitled "Old Files" within the My Documents folder.  I then went to the Documents View.  There I dragged and dropped all files and folders within the window, from the Documents View, into the new file in the My Documents folder.

Now, all of these files (5Gb) are in the wrong place.  This includes everything, regardless of its actual location, into one folder including registry files.

I have tried twice to utilize System Restore to the last restore date, however, this errors.

I am afraid that Restore Default Libraries may erase all data.

Is there an easier solution to this than manually moving every single file, one by one, back to its original location?

Thanks in advance!!!

Friday, January 31, 2014 4:31 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Libraries simply allow you to view groups of related files, without actually moving them. This feature gives you a better tool that you can use to find and instantly organize your files by allowing you to browse and search them using metadata. When you use Libraries, you are leaving your files and folders where they are. When you delete a Library, you only remove the Library from the Navigations pane of Windows Explorer. Deleting a Library doesn’t actually delete the folders that it aggregates. When you remove a folder location from a Library, you remove only the Library view of that folder. Removing a folder location from a Library doesn’t actually delete the folder or its files.

You can do a Restore Default Libraries to fix the issue.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, February 10, 2014 5:05 AM
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 1:30 AM