10 minute boot after installing Ultimate language packs. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've recently installed all 35 Windows Vista Ultimate language packs. The installation process went smoothly, no error messages or anything.

Unfortunately, though, the time it takes my computer to boot now is considerably longer. On last boot, there was a 10 minute hang after the BIOS splashscreen, before the Vista green loading bar begins. The screen was completely black: the-monitor-is-on black, not the-monitor-is-off black.

It seems a strange coincidence that this should happen directly after I installed the language packs, so I'm assuming that's the problem.

If anyone's having similar issues, or if anyone has any ideas how to fix this short of reinstalling Windows, please post Smile.

Will.

Sunday, November 4, 2007 6:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Will,

Thank you for your post.

First I would like to confirm if your Vista is an OEM version and where you downloaded the language packs. Can you provide me with the download link?

Based on the current situation, I suggest uninstalling these language packs or restoring the system to a point before the installation.

Has the issue been resolved?

If so, please reinstall these language packs one at a time to test the issue.

If the issue reoccurs after re-installing a language pack, we can conclude the culprit is the language pack you just installed.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Vista Forum Support Professional

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 8:37 AM
  • Thanks for your response, Tim.

My version of Ultimate is NOT an OEM version. I downloaded the language packs via the Windows Update program in Ultimate. They were listed as optional updates, and there were all 35 of them listed. I installed them all at once, and then I started having the startup problems.

I shall try uninstalling the language packs and reinstalling one at a time when time permits: I've recently had to delete the SoftwareDistribution folder that stores all my downloaded updates, so I'm a little hesitant to have to download around 6 GB of language packs again.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Will.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 7:39 PM

All replies

• Just tried another boot. This time the black screen lasted 25 minutes.

Sunday, November 4, 2007 7:45 AM
  • Hi Will,

Thank you for your post.

First I would like to confirm if your Vista is an OEM version and where you downloaded the language packs. Can you provide me with the download link?

Based on the current situation, I suggest uninstalling these language packs or restoring the system to a point before the installation.

Has the issue been resolved?

If so, please reinstall these language packs one at a time to test the issue.

If the issue reoccurs after re-installing a language pack, we can conclude the culprit is the language pack you just installed.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 8:37 AM
  • Thanks for your response, Tim.

My version of Ultimate is NOT an OEM version. I downloaded the language packs via the Windows Update program in Ultimate. They were listed as optional updates, and there were all 35 of them listed. I installed them all at once, and then I started having the startup problems.

I shall try uninstalling the language packs and reinstalling one at a time when time permits: I've recently had to delete the SoftwareDistribution folder that stores all my downloaded updates, so I'm a little hesitant to have to download around 6 GB of language packs again.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Will.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 7:39 PM
  •  

Hi Will,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, November 12, 2007 2:53 AM
  • I have a similar (frustrating) problem with the Language Packs!

I just installed a couple of languages initially. Then Vista update decided to install ALL languages since they were listed as "Important" updates, even for the languages I didn't need! I tried to un-check them in the update dialog but then after a reboot Vista wants to install them again. So I thought I'd just let Vista update do its thing!

IT TOOK AGES - I mean hours and hours.

Now it takes Vista an hour to boot up! - This is not acceptable and I'm about to look at removing ALL languages again, hoping that it doesn't take as long to remove them else It might be quicker for me to just re-install Vista.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:11 AM
  • I'm having the exact same problem.  I decided to install all the language packs (because I was tired of seeing "35 updates available" for my computer).  I can't even get it to boot AT ALL...I've waited hours and got the same black screen as the original poster.

I tried safe mode to uninstall the language packs and they weren't even showing up as installed.

VERY FRUSTRATING!!!
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:16 PM
  • I decided to use system restore to restore my settings/system to a point before the language packs were installed.  I was later told that system restore was unable to restore my settings. So still no luck.......  >8-|
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 10:07 PM
  • Straight after the Language Packs install you have to leave your PC with the blank screen for a VERY VERY VERY LONG TIME to reboot. I left mine working overnight! After they are installed, it then took an hour to boot up.

I also tried to go back to a system restore point. It took ages, but worked. And then guess what... next time I rebooted it decided that it needed to install the Language Packs again because they were listed as "Important" updates. So the restore just created extra hours of wasted time!

I've now un-installed all the Language Packs (Today) so I'll see how the next few days go.

If Vista decides to install the Languages on its own again (as Important updates), I'll go back to XP!

M$ - If you're watching this thread - we develop software for a global market, and this just isn't accepatable! XP was so much easier to install MUI languages! And you didn't need to have a particular edition to support it!

Best Regards,

Kevin Frost.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:43 AM
  • Ok - Now I've un-installed all the Language Packs my boot up time is back to normal.

However, Vista update is still telling me there are 19 Language Packs that are "Important" and its persistently reminding me to install them. Just for extra information, the published date for them is 28/10/2007. Don't know if that helps anyone to know what's going on.

How do I remove them from my update list?

If I uncheck them, they simply appear checked again next time!

If I install them, or worse still if Vista decides to install them, I'll be back to square one!

Regards,

Kevin Frost.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 11:28 AM
  • I feel so much more sane after finding this thread.  I have a new PC (Dell XPS 720) that I've been trying to "get clean" vs. Windows Update and somewhere in the process it always kicks into the ridiculous 45 minutes or so reboot time.  To be precise, the long delay is between the last little bit of text-mode BIOS hardware stuff and the first low-res windows copyright notice w/ status bar.  Screen is black but "active" (monitor is "on").  Reading through the event log I find no events at all in those 45 minutes - just a clean set of "system turned off" events and then a 45 minute gap and then "system turned on" events.  I couldn't tell what particular install was causing it but I had started to suspect the DreamScene stuff. Now perhaps it's the language packs. I'm getting errors when I try to install the langauge packs (I select say 10 of them and then 7 succeed and 3 fail) and thereafter it feels as if something has gone wrong with Windows Update - it starts suggesting that I need updates I've already got, I can boot the machine and be in the mode where there's a little shield thingy on the shutdown menu (reboot to install stuff).

Friday, December 7, 2007 8:53 PM
  • In an earlier post, I asked the question:-

>How do I remove them (language updates) from my update list?

>If I uncheck them, they simply appear checked again next time!

Well, I found out! It's easy (but not well publicised).

You simply right-click on an update and select "Hide Update"!

From then on, it isn't shown anymore

Hope this helps someone else from pulling out their hair!

Regards,

Kevin Frost.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 10:20 AM
  • My PC has the same problem like yours after I install language packs update for Vista.

I try to follow your step to delete SoftwareDistribution folder.

The boot time is still 10 minutes.

Tai

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 11:58 AM