Outlook 2016 Reply attaches full email addresses <> RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Everyone,

Is there a way to turn off Outlook 2016's feature that automatically adds <address@address.com> beside all recipient names in replies? Our concern is with internal addresses showing to external users and we had no such issue in Outlook 2010.

So far I have yet to find the option to turn off this feature. if you know where it is or if know if it exists, please let me know!

Appreciate the help. Thanks.

-T

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 7:53 PM

Answers

• Hi thebearot,

The email addresses in <> brackets after the name for the previous recipients in the message header when replying or forwarding a mail can be controlled using the registry key "DisableEmailAddressesInReplyHeaders". Please follow the steps below:

ImportantFollow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

1. Exit all Microsoft Office applications. Press Win + R, type "regedit", press Enter to open the registry editor.
    2. Locate and then select the following registry entry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options

3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value. Type DisableEmailAddressesInReplyHeaders, and then press the Enter key.
    4. In the Details pane, right-click DisableEmailAddressesInReplyHeaders, and then click Modify. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK. 

Notes:
    To display the display names and email addresses of the recipients (which is the default behavior), set the value to 0.
    To display the display names only of the recipients, set the value to 1.

5. Exit Registry Editor.

Reference: Email header only displays the display names of the recipients but not their email addresses in Outlook 2013 (The article applies to Outlook 2013, but based on my test, this registry works for Outlook 2016 as well.)

Please be aware that this method can only hide the email addresses in the Recipients field, if you need to hide the addresses in Sender field, you may have to manually remove it when replying or forwarding.

Hope this can be helpful. 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by thebearot Wednesday, January 30, 2019 6:09 PM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2019 5:25 AM

All replies

• Hi thebearot,

The email addresses in <> brackets after the name for the previous recipients in the message header when replying or forwarding a mail can be controlled using the registry key "DisableEmailAddressesInReplyHeaders". Please follow the steps below:

ImportantFollow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

1. Exit all Microsoft Office applications. Press Win + R, type "regedit", press Enter to open the registry editor.
    2. Locate and then select the following registry entry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options

3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value. Type DisableEmailAddressesInReplyHeaders, and then press the Enter key.
    4. In the Details pane, right-click DisableEmailAddressesInReplyHeaders, and then click Modify. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK. 

Notes:
    To display the display names and email addresses of the recipients (which is the default behavior), set the value to 0.
    To display the display names only of the recipients, set the value to 1.

5. Exit Registry Editor.

Reference: Email header only displays the display names of the recipients but not their email addresses in Outlook 2013 (The article applies to Outlook 2013, but based on my test, this registry works for Outlook 2016 as well.)

Please be aware that this method can only hide the email addresses in the Recipients field, if you need to hide the addresses in Sender field, you may have to manually remove it when replying or forwarding.

Hope this can be helpful. 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by thebearot Wednesday, January 30, 2019 6:09 PM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2019 5:25 AM
  • :O

That's exactly what I am looking for!! Let me verify it and I will mark as an answer. Thanks Yuki!!

-T

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 5:55 PM
  • Confirmed working! Thanks. -T
    Wednesday, January 30, 2019 6:09 PM
  • Confirmed working! Thanks. -T

You're welcome :) 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Thursday, January 31, 2019 1:45 AM