none
Exchange 2013 CU15 - Message Routing, Routing Loop.

Question

• Hey guys, 

This is kinda of complex. But let me do my best. First let me state what problem occurred first then the problem.= i am posting about. 

Original Problem:

We had an issue with a mailbox server that is used for journaling only, where the transport database ran out of disk space. I provided up to 125GB more disk space but it used it all. We have a very large environment here and its not uncommon for us to journal 10K messages an hour. 

After confirming that the messages in question were just store level journaling messages, i deleted the database (approved) i then allowed the transport service to create a new database (as expected). 

New Problem:

Ever since the original database (Journal Database, not mailbox database) was deleted, all messages old and new when sent to a mailbox on the Journaling Server, instead of being delivered locally to the journal database, those messages are sent to different exchange servers, whereby a routing loop occurs. 

For Instance: 

Database Name: Journaling_Database

Server Name: Exch_Journal

Mailbox Name: JRN_Mbx (SMTP: JRN_Mbx@domain.com)

Any messages either Journaled to that mailbox or a mailbox moved to that same database, the messages are not delivered, they eventually time out or just sit there. (always a routing loop error 5.4.6)

Any messages sent to the same server as above, but not to a mailbox on that server are delivered as expected, no issues. 

I cant figure out why the emails are not being delivered to the database that is on the same server as the messages are queued. 

When looking on the Queue Viwer: i see SMTP Relay to send connector source servers. Next Hop Solution Domain is Outbound SMTP. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks, 

Robert 

Robert

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 1:58 AM

All replies

• What mechanism are you using to direct messages to that journal mailbox/database?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 2:50 AM
  • Regular internal exchange routing. Nothing special. The same as all of our other servers. 

Robert

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 2:58 AM
  • I am not even sure how to troubleshoot this. I checked for duplicate SMTP address and didn't see any, also i tried with 2 separate accounts on that same server. In addition to that i tried with a new database on that same server. i cant move the current journaling mailbox as its like 70GB. 

All same issue. 

The only Error i see is this: 

The following organization rejected your message: Different_Internal_Server.internal.org.

#554 5.4.6 Hop count exceeded - possible mail loop ##

The thing is the messages SHOULD NOT be going back out the SMTP Connector to other servers or the internet. they should deliver to the local database that is on the server itself. 

Robert 

Robert

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 3:16 AM
  • You can start by answering my question.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 6:45 AM
  • Ed, 

Dont be rude. I did answer your question. Have you maybe looked at my first reply? If you don't know the answer just dont bother. 

Robert 

Robert

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 7:00 AM
  • When I asked you, "What mechanism are you using to direct messages to that journal mailbox/database?", you answered, "Regular internal exchange routing. Nothing special. The same as all of our other servers."  If you think that's an answer, then I hope you get a solution somewhere on your own.

Thursday, November 9, 2017 4:57 AM
  • When I asked you, "What mechanism are you using to direct messages to that journal mailbox/database?", you answered, "Regular internal exchange routing. Nothing special. The same as all of our other servers."  If you think that's an answer, then I hope you get a solution somewhere on your own.

Ed, I did answer your question. Exchange uses SMTP to route messages between servers and then MAPI for the final delivery to the users mailbox database. 

What's wrong with my answer? 

Robert 

Robert

Thursday, November 9, 2017 6:10 AM
  • Microsoft - Can you assist here? This issue really has me confused.... 

Thanks, 

Robert 

Robert

Thursday, November 9, 2017 6:25 AM
  • That isn't what I asked, I asked how you configured journaling.  Good luck reaching someone at Microsoft.

Thursday, November 9, 2017 7:28 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for contacting our forum.

Could you please run the following commands and post out the results? We need to check the information journaling mailbox and DB mount status.

get-mailbox -identity “JRN_Mbx@domain.com  |  fl  

get-mailboxdatabase -identity < Journaling_Database > | fl

Do you have send connectors for the journaling mailbox server? If you have get-sendconnector <name> | fl

Please aslo check if you have a mail contact for that journaling mailbox.

Please restart the transport and mailbox replication services on this server.

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 9, 2017 8:47 AM
  • Hi,

We haven't heard back from you yet, and I'm just writing  to see if you have had an opportunity to try the suggestions I provided. If it helps, please help to mark as answer. Any further questions, please feel free to post back.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:58 AM
  • Hey Jason, 

Sorry for not getting back to you on this. WE are going to just remove the server and reinstall it. I am unable to place any real responses (in this post) to your questions due to all the data being PII. I can tell you that the database is mounted, no additional send connectors were added or removed, server was rebooted. Standard message routing is in use here. All SMTP based. 

(Exchange queries AD for user mailbox location, mailbox is resolved, delivery group selected (mailbox) etc). 

So lets just resolve this post. 

One question i do have is, would stopping the transport service, deleting the que file, then starting it up again, in any way cause this type of an issue? 

I have reset mail.que file many times on many different servers and never had this problem. 

Thanks, 

Robert

Robert

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 3:10 AM
  • Thanks for your response and glad to hear that the issue has been resolved.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:24 AM