none
How do i determine which version of Project a file was saved with ? RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• There is no direct way to display that information. Pls try Version.bat here at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/thread/ce688807-b57c-4910-83fa-92a0b8e3b5a4 or simply execute the following command line in a command window:

strings your_mpp_file | findstr "[0-9],.,....,...."

Pls note that it may display multiple product version number in case of overwriting an mpp file of earlier version opened with a later version of Project. Pls be careful not to destroy mpp file so always try with a backup file. This is not a documented procedure.

Monday, January 30, 2012 10:47 PM
  • Mike, Any feedback on that ?
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:24 PM
  • You mean other than very disappointed Microsoft doesn't provide an easy way to identify the version ? 

Whilst I'm fairly technical a lot of our other PMs are not - particularly the business focused ones.  So command line stuff is unrealistic for them.  And the solutions provided are either not 100% reliable or a bit of work..... but at least I can use them :)

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:33 PM
  • You mean other than very disappointed Microsoft doesn't provide an easy way to identify the version ? 

Whilst I'm fairly technical a lot of our other PMs are not - particularly the business focused ones.  So command line stuff is unrealistic for them.  And the solutions provided are either not 100% reliable or a bit of work..... but at least I can use them :)

I've placed a shortcut to the batch file in the contextual menu (XP) and so I use it easily. It provides nothing more than a reference information (always to be verified with the original creator of the file) and has already helped in a couple of cases to identify the product version (i.e. to determine whether the version used to save the file was an updated one). Please note that it is not the version of the mpp file and therefore we cannot expect the software to provide that information - so there is no reason to feel disappointed - . As soon as we try to open an mpp file with Project, Project will simply reveal whether it is the correct version anyway.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 10:09 PM