AppV client default paths RRS feed

• Question

• I want to know if i can publish a package that was created in the sequencer to another path then the default path on the APPV client machine defined in the registry PackageInstallationRoot. which by default goes to the hidden folder "c:\ProgramData\APPV\".

I know I can change the path in the registry, but I want to know if there is a way I can create a package that when I add and publish on the client machine it deploys to a path that I define instead of the default path defined in the client registry.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 12:28 PM

Answers

• You mean it can't find itself because the file DIR has the hidden attribute?  Haven't seen an app do that before.
    I have bad news this is about the best I can come up with.  Let me know if I'm not clear on anything.

Is the app writing its location to a registry key or ini file that you can manipulate?
    What would happen if you put C:\Programdata into your package?  Wonder if it would read the attributes differently. 

If the exe is evaluating its own location to determine where it is, you may be short on options....this is the best I can come up with:
    Copy the exe out of the bubble into the real file system, essentially treating it the same way you would with a locally installed IE.  The App-V shortcut will turn into C:\Program Files\12345\abcde.exe /appvve:pGUID_vGUID (for example).  We had to do this with an application and it did work pretty well.  We used the add scripting event to create the needed dir structure, copy the exe, and permission if needed. 

Outside of that maybe you could get a shim to trick the app into believing it is in the 'traditionally' installed path, ie  C:\Program Files\12345\?

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 5:28 PM

All replies

• So you want to define the PackageGUID and version GUID yourself?

AFAIK that's not possible. Also the "Save as new package" feature, (re)introduced in 5.0 SP2 HF4, doesn't allow change GUID's a custom value.

However, it is possible for Office 2013 packages created with ODT.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:40 PM
  • You cannot change the default path on a per app basis.  You can change the integrationrootuser value which will controls the junction points per user (you can also change this for globally published apps).  This doesn't change the actual path, but changes the appearance of the path.
    This also cannot be done on a per app basis.  And as Ben said, you can't change the GUID to a value you choose, outside of the Office apps created with the ODT.

What are you trying to accomplish ultimately?

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 2:51 PM
  • thanks for the replies,

I have an old legacy application that my client is trying to deploy using APPV, but it can not find the path to the hidden "C:\ProgramData\" folder as it is hidden, but when I change the registry key for the PackageInstallationRoot to say "C:\appplication" and then add and publish the package I am able to use the application. so hence I was wondering if there is a way to add and publish application to a different path then the default path. unfortunately it is not an option to leave the "C:\ProgramData\" un-hidden.

do you know of any tool or way I would be able to deploy package to different location? 

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 3:33 PM
  • You mean it can't find itself because the file DIR has the hidden attribute?  Haven't seen an app do that before.
    I have bad news this is about the best I can come up with.  Let me know if I'm not clear on anything.

Is the app writing its location to a registry key or ini file that you can manipulate?
    What would happen if you put C:\Programdata into your package?  Wonder if it would read the attributes differently. 

If the exe is evaluating its own location to determine where it is, you may be short on options....this is the best I can come up with:
    Copy the exe out of the bubble into the real file system, essentially treating it the same way you would with a locally installed IE.  The App-V shortcut will turn into C:\Program Files\12345\abcde.exe /appvve:pGUID_vGUID (for example).  We had to do this with an application and it did work pretty well.  We used the add scripting event to create the needed dir structure, copy the exe, and permission if needed. 

Outside of that maybe you could get a shim to trick the app into believing it is in the 'traditionally' installed path, ie  C:\Program Files\12345\?

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 5:28 PM
  • This sounds really weired, as 'hiding' and 'protecting' are two different things - even if the app is able to determin that it is launched from like C:\programdata\something\something it shoudl be able to access and see everything undernaeth of programdata.

Is there anything ProcMon tells about?

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 5:04 PM