none
Current Status from Team Members RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Project Server 2010 and Project Pro 2010.  What are the steps for ensuring you have the most current status from team members before editing in Project Pro?  i.e. can I "open for editing" in Project Pro from the PWA, or do I need to open Project Pro and choose read/write and working buttons?  I want to make schedule changes, but  make sure I have all status in there first.

Long Live America

Monday, August 20, 2012 2:22 PM

Answers

• First of all "Open for Editing in Project pro" from PWA, and opening from project pro in read/write mode both do the same thing.
    • Secondly, if the project updates were accepted directly from Approval Center in PWA, and project is NOT checked out at that time, all the updates are immediately applied to the project plan and you will see the latest version when you open it read/write.
    • if the plan "was" checked out when the updates were accepted (from PWA), then the updates are applied ONLY after the plan is checked back in.

I hope this time I was able to answer your questions! :)

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Vassily

You can open project in read/write & if there are any status updates submitted by your resources you will receive a notification as below, post which you may either choose to Apply or Ignore the changes, and if you wish to apply just say Yes, and it will take you to approval window

Let us know if this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

Monday, August 20, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Sunil,

I am not status manager on any tasks in the schedule.  Will I still see this alert?

Long Live America

Monday, August 20, 2012 2:42 PM
  • Not, if you are not a status manager, that was missing :)

Monday, August 20, 2012 3:37 PM
  • I am the master scheduler, so I need to have the most current version before making changes.  I am not concerned about certain resources, I need ALL status from ALL resources(unless it hasn't been approved; obviously).  I need the steps for ensuring I have the most current status from team members before editing in Project Pro....  i.e. can I "open for editing" in Project Pro from the PWA, or do I need to open Project Pro and choose read/write and working buttons?  This is a real-world scenario.  We have begun statusing the schedule, so what is the best practice?

Long Live America

Monday, August 20, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Vassily:

• In this scenario, a "process" is what you need. May be you ask all Project Managers to make sure all pending updates are approved and published by specific time every week.
    • The information of the "approval" status of a task is not easily available and might require you to access the draft or published database. It might be possible to develop a report that shows you all pending approvals (not by SQL Query which is unsupported)
    • If you have a limited set of Project Managers, then you could set yourself up as a delegate for all those PMS and confirm if they have any pending updates before you start working on the scheduling. However, as you can see this is not a scalable solution.
    • you do not mention, if you use timesheets and/or single entry mode. I can think of another way to have some control on this process if you used those features.
    • And finally while you are making changes, you might want to checkout all projects so that others cannot make any more changes to it.

Hope this helps.

Monday, August 20, 2012 5:30 PM
  • You can't have the most current status unless you are the status manager or a delegate for all status managers, as the update will be going to them & unless they approve or reject you won't be able to know,hence schedule being updated is possible only after PM approves or rejects the update

best possible case in this scenario seems to be using the OOB delegate feature  or a custom solution for you to notify for any updates coming through, other than this i can think of having automatic rules for approval for all projects (in case if that's feasible) so that as soon as a task update is done it automatically gets approved & hence your schedule for editing would be updated

Let me know if this helps

Monday, August 20, 2012 5:40 PM
  • I'm not sure you gentlemen understand what I am asking for.  I have already established a deadline for status to be in and approved each week.  I am not concerned with tasks that have not been approved.  But, if they are approved I want to open the file so that those tasks that have been approved are showing, so when I make changes and publish I do not lose or overwrite status that was approved by status mgr.  Do I do this by opening the draft d/b  (open Project Pro and choose read/write and working buttons) or will the current approved tasks only show when I choose "open for editing" in Project Pro from the PWA?  Or will either have all approved tasks?

Long Live America

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:35 PM
    • First of all "Open for Editing in Project pro" from PWA, and opening from project pro in read/write mode both do the same thing.
    • Secondly, if the project updates were accepted directly from Approval Center in PWA, and project is NOT checked out at that time, all the updates are immediately applied to the project plan and you will see the latest version when you open it read/write.
    • if the plan "was" checked out when the updates were accepted (from PWA), then the updates are applied ONLY after the plan is checked back in.

I hope this time I was able to answer your questions! :)

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:59 PM
  • yes Prasanna, that is what I needed.  Thank you.

Long Live America

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:05 PM